Resi material shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I only do 2-3 custom houses per year, so I don’t stock any resi material.

Just started two, and haven’t been able to get all the wire and boxes I need.

Supplier said he ran out of everything but 1gg nail ups in February, replacements aren’t coming for another 4/wks. I was able to find a few at Home Depot and Lowe’s, but not enough.

They ran out of 12/2 also, which I was able to get enough of because supplier called me two weeks ago and said it was going to $500 per thousand.

Ordered a bunch of Arlington stuff and some of that is 4/wks out still also.

Homeowner told me he’s having a hard time getting all of the framing material and doors also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MatthewABD

Occupation
Electrician
Similar on the commercial end too, my local esc, north east are having a hard time carrying basic stuff like 1/2 PVC fittings or basic led drivers. The shop ships spools of 1k ft MC direct so not sure about that but I'll see what they got next time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I haven’t had any problems getting materials for my commercial jobs lately.

We ran into PVC shortages around the end of last summer. But no issues getting steel products.

Had several fixture and gear delays throughout last year but the manufacturers seem to have caught up. Longest delay I had was 4/mo for a distribution panel from ABB, and I just received some fixtures two weeks ago that were ordered last June. That order shipped in August 99% complete; took 8/mo to get the remaining fixtures. That was from Fudakin, who I’ve never bought from, but architect was adamant we use them when I suggested an equals package. It’s a large university and I was told that’s all they’re using now. Just did a punch list walkthrough and some of the fixtures have now quit working (dead drivers). Hopefully they don’t take 8/mo to replace.

arnettda

I to just started stocking more material, Nm keeps going up, pvc up, making a trip to a box store this weekend to get what PVC I can. My salesman told me romex staples are going up 12 percent the first. it is so strange. but I am bidding things like mad.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The residential contractors found out about this before I did and emptied the shelves at the supply houses and box stores.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The residential contractors found out about this before I did and emptied the shelves at the supply houses and box stores.

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa for a couple of days, and happened to stop in at a Menards (box store) for non-work stuff. When I came outside, there was a resi contractor with a cart of about 8,000 feet of 250' rolls of 14/2 and 12/2

He opened his truck topper and tailgate to put it in, and the whole thing was already full. He was more than likely making rounds to every place buying all he could get

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Supplies are low here, too. Near Perdue U.
I too, am guilty of buying more then I need. Only because we heard prices are going up.
I bought more than I needed last time, but that's kind of relative.

I typically use about 250' of 12/2 and 1000' of 14/2 in a week because I do small remodel stuff a lot. Only some "small-medium" sized stuff

Last purchase a week and a half ago was 1500' of 12/2 and 3000' of 14/2

Now I've used almost all the 12/2 rewiring a bathroom/laundry and a second floor/attic

If I have to scrounge up enough for a whole house, I'm in bad shape I think

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I just got an email that almost everything I ordered from Arlington is now back ordered

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I'd haul butt to the closest rural outlet...
Its what happens when we put all our eggs in someone else's basket then rely on it- then P them off...

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
Just the price of steel has gone up, what?, 50% in the last few months.
I was talking to one of my well drilling supply distributors Wednesday. In November 6 5/8" 1/4" wall steel well casing was selling for about $9.50 per foot. The branch manager said they were out, couldn't get any, and if they could get some, it would be at least $18 per foot. My other distrupibutor said, yeah he bought 20 semiloads in November, still has some.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
Maybe this is why the spare clips for my .17 CZ haven't come yet. You guys are buying up all the plastic!
🤔....I had to look that up.....😁
Also, according to the feds prices should start dropping this summer as supply builds back up.

sw_ross

Definitely makes a person contemplate the type of jobs I want to focus on-
(i.e. jobs that are less material intensive and more focused on labor)

Status
Not open for further replies.