CAT6 direct burial depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

I'm hooking up cameras for a security system.

I see the burial table where irrigation control and landscape lighting only requires a 6" of cover.

Surely I don't have to go 18" for low voltage cables in a residential application?

No code book nearby but, Should I be looking in art 800 for this depth?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe Chapters 1-4 affect Chapter 8 which I assume where this belongs. It could fall under 708 also.. I don't see any burial depths but maybe someone else knows better.

kwired

Electron manager
At least use some judgement on how well you want this to last. Anything less than 6 inches deep has high chance of being damaged or exposed from many common "backyard activities". In some loose soil types even deeper depths have somewhat higher risk.

S'mise

I'd sure be tempted to run it in PVC conduit, regardless of depth.
I would use conduit but I don't know if that's feasible.

The run is about 300ft, or the maximum length of 100m.

I know cable TV companies routinely only cover their cables a few inches or so. I'd consider a LAN cable to be a similar classification.

I may have to come up with a plan "B", like a wireless repeater.

How long should a good quality DB cable last under 6" of soil, ....10 years or so?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use conduit but I don't know if that's feasible.

The run is about 300ft, or the maximum length of 100m.

I know cable TV companies routinely only cover their cables a few inches or so. I'd consider a LAN cable to be a similar classification.

I may have to come up with a plan "B", like a wireless repeater.

How long should a good quality DB cable last under 6" of soil, ....10 years or so?
I think that unless it's damaged it would last more than 10 years. You could also bury 3/8" LFNC.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
300 feet is getting close to the max length of an ethernet segment. You may want to verify the complete end to end length. Could be pushed to fiber.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm hooking up cameras for a security system.

I see the burial table where irrigation control and landscape lighting only requires a 6" of cover.

Surely I don't have to go 18" for low voltage cables in a residential application?

No code book nearby but, Should I be looking in art 800 for this depth?
Is this going to be POE as well as communication or just communication?
I would lean toward using conduit as well for the added protection particularly if this is being used for security system. You don't want the system to be disabled by a simple spade shovel. Another consideration is these systems are noted to request frequent update/upgrades and a conduit run would make that simpler as well even if you get a CAT6 rated for direct bury.
Also check Article 725 for additional requirements beyond that found in Article 800

S'mise

Thanks guys. Yes, It's a POE ethernet camera but it's not far from a power source, in case I need to add a power injector (field side) for voltage drop.

The run is about 300-325ft depending on what angle or obstacles I encounter.

I may add conduit but i don't want to spend too much on this. I'll definitely stub it out of the ground for protection. There are 16 other channels so if someone wants to defeat a camera, they'll likely be picked up on another.

I always appreciate getting advice from you folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.