No, there is no other panels here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A builder I do a lot of work for, called me saying he lost power in a Church basement he was replacing doors on. Old church, originally had a 60 amp service up front. Someone changed it to a small breaker box, and had two circuits in it. Everything good (good as it could be! LOL!) there. 200 amp breaker box in the basement with about 10 circuits in it. Everything good there. Ran a temp circuit to the closest fixture, everything worked again. Ok, maybe a buried j box in the Sheetrock ceiling? Every box was dead ended, every switch, every light! Got to be a bad splice somewhere above the ceiling. Finally found an old cable heading back to the panel. Got to be the home run! After cutting some sheet rock in the mechanical room, found it went up the wall above the panel, but not into the panel. Found a cut off piece of service cable coming down from the same spot. Go back upstairs behind the pulpit, did not see a panel anywhere. The builder got to looking, and said this a strange height this picture is at? He carefully takes it down, and what do you know! A small fuse box! 20 amp fuse blown. Replaced the fuse, everything works again! Found a 12-2 lugged to the 60 amp pull out that fed the panel up front! LOL!

Attachments

• D1DB426B-734C-40A4-8882-AE68DAC3F73D.jpeg
    D1DB426B-734C-40A4-8882-AE68DAC3F73D.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 5E5A1F7D-BFEC-424F-971E-809B7D4DC3B7.jpeg
    5E5A1F7D-BFEC-424F-971E-809B7D4DC3B7.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 52

Buck Parrish

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Not a church, but otherwise the same. The panel I found had all 30s and a 30 was blown. I talked them into taking it out. Ran four circuits over to the newer service breaker panel. Done away with the old fuse box all together.

garbo

Worked at a large company that refused to purchase a circuit tracer gor the 6 man electric shop. So for tracing 120 volt circuits I installed a 1900 box with a 30 amp toggle switch along with an indicator power on lamp. In on position Switch shorted out the hot wire & grounded wire. Had to use it to locate & ID a receptacle. Plugged it in replaced receptacle and the 2 panels that feed large office had no tripped breakers. Removed covers and checked that every breaker was energised. After checking every panel within 500' finally went into security office and asked them if by chance they had a circuit breaker panel. Nope but lookrd around and foind a 4 circuit panel behind s picture.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I found one circuit for a kitchen in a grocery store was fed from a sub-panel in the office. :rolleyes:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Worked at a large company that refused to purchase a circuit tracer gor the 6 man electric shop. So for tracing 120 volt circuits I installed a 1900 box with a 30 amp toggle switch along with an indicator power on lamp. In on position Switch shorted out the hot wire & grounded wire. Had to use it to locate & ID a receptacle. Plugged it in replaced receptacle and the 2 panels that feed large office had no tripped breakers. Removed covers and checked that every breaker was energised. After checking every panel within 500' finally went into security office and asked them if by chance they had a circuit breaker panel. Nope but lookrd around and foind a 4 circuit panel behind s picture.
Pretty bad way to find breakers, causing a bolted fault.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Lil Bill is correct.. dangerous method.
This is Russina Roulette with a switch :) One day you may find a circuit with high fault current and end up with a hand full of molten metal.
I know an electrician that used this method and happened across a circuit tapped to the service....bad result,

Status
Not open for further replies.