T-Code of enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

timchengyong

Greetings! I am confused by a dual markings of below picture. It can be used in C1D1 and C1D2 location as UL approval, but refer to ATEX certificate, it is a U-certificate component, can't be used in Zone area directly. So what's wrong with it? IMG_20210904_170629.jpg

Jimmy B

Occupation
Electrician/Technologist
The enclosure seems fine for ATEX, I don't see the issue. I'm guessing you are referencing the 1025U number? I don't know what that means, but the main ATEX code II 2G Ex d IIB means it is good for Zone 1 & 2 for group A & B gases (basically everything but Acetyline and Hydrogen). Maybe if you clarify your question?

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Greetings! I am confused by a dual markings of below picture. It can be used in C1D1 and C1D2 location as UL approval, but refer to ATEX certificate, it is a U-certificate component, can't be used in Zone area directly. So what's wrong with it? View attachment 2557756
Also see the NEMA rating: 3 - 4 - 4X.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The important question is, “Where is this going to be installed?” One of the nameplates may be useless. An ATEX rating means absolutely nothing in US domestic installations. A UL “Classified” rating means nothing in ATEX jurisdictions. It also has a very limited meaning in US domestic jurisdictions where it means it must be part of a specific assembly of components. The CSA rating permits broader application in Canada (which does recognize ATEX) but not the US.

timchengyong

The important question is, “Where is this going to be installed?” One of the nameplates may be useless. An ATEX rating means absolutely nothing in US domestic installations. A UL “Classified” rating means nothing in ATEX jurisdictions. It also has a very limited meaning in US domestic jurisdictions where it means it must be part of a specific assembly of components. The CSA rating permits broader application in Canada (which does recognize ATEX) but not the US.
It's installed in C1D2 location, Yes, it is certified as components. I want to konw what's the limitation for classified parts when using in hazardous location? if it can be site certificated T-code with assembly? Thanks!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
It's installed in C1D2 location, Yes, it is certified as components. I want to konw what's the limitation for classified parts when using in hazardous location? if it can be site certificated T-code with assembly? Thanks!
Answer my question, “Where is this going to be installed?”, and we may be able to answer yours.

Jimmy B

Occupation
Electrician/Technologist
rbalex, as a passing comment, he mentioned C1D2. :)

It sounds to me like the OP is wondering what can be installed inside? Are you putting in some electronic component that generates heat? Also, the ATEX certificate and your question about the T-code are irrelevant if it's installed in Class 1 Div 2. All that matters is the UL certification. Pretend it has no ATEX markings at all.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

It sounds to me like the OP is wondering what can be installed inside? Are you putting in some electronic component that generates heat? Also, the ATEX certificate and your question about the T-code are irrelevant if it's installed in Class 1 Div 2. All that matters is the UL certification. Pretend it has no ATEX markings at all.
Yes, he did. It still matters what jurisdiction it’s being installed under.

Since he mentioned C1D2, ATEX is useless - so there’s nothing to pretend.

If it is a US jurisdiction the component must be a part of a specific listed assembly which will have its own nameplate and will indicate its “T-Code”. If it’s a non-US jurisdiction that “kinda/sorta” uses the NEC and he’s trying to find out the component’s “T-Code” in a non-listed assembly then he will need to contact the manufacturer - there’s no practical way we can answer it here.

Can it be site-certified? Possibly; it will be up to the certifying agency AND THE JURISDICTION IT WILL BE INSTALLED UNDER.

timchengyong

Yes, he did. It still matters what jurisdiction it’s being installed under.

Since he mentioned C1D2, ATEX is useless - so there’s nothing to pretend.

If it is a US jurisdiction the component must be a part of a specific listed assembly which will have its own nameplate and will indicate its “T-Code”. If it’s a non-US jurisdiction that “kinda/sorta” uses the NEC and he’s trying to find out the component’s “T-Code” in a non-listed assembly then he will need to contact the manufacturer - there’s no practical way we can answer it here.

Can it be site-certified? Possibly; it will be up to the certifying agency AND THE JURISDICTION IT WILL BE INSTALLED UNDER.
Thanks for your clarification. It's installed in offshore oil & gas platform in China. The platform was desiged as API500, API14F standards. My further question is if all the UL certified parts need a assembly certificate including outlet boxes of conduit wiring?

timchengyong

Yes. I want to have a guideline regarding UL classified parts using in hazadous location. Maybe is complex in different case. in different area, or different assembly. Thanks!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks for your clarification. It's installed in offshore oil & gas platform in China. The platform was desiged as API500, API14F standards. My further question is if all the UL certified parts need a assembly certificate including outlet boxes of conduit wiring?
Yes. I want to have a guideline regarding UL classified parts using in hazadous location. Maybe is complex in different case. in different area, or different assembly. Thanks!
It is complex because there is no standard for using “UL Classified” components in a non-standard installation. If a T-Code is all you need, Jimmy B’s recommendation is good - check the T-Code of the internal components since an enclosure alone does not generate heat.

timchengyong

It is complex because there is no standard for using “UL Classified” components in a non-standard installation. If a T-Code is all you need, Jimmy B’s recommendation is good - check the T-Code of the internal components since an enclosure alone does not generate heat.
Could you tell me how to deal with it based on NEC CODE?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
As I mentioned before, ‘…there is no standard for using “UL Classified” components in a non-standard installation.’ I have on occasion used Section 500.8(A)(3). It can’t be counted on and I can’t guarantee it.

Status
Not open for further replies.