GFCI Breaker on ungrounded circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchase an older home that has 2 wire "no ground" system. I know that installing GFCI receptacles can give protection to outlets can a GFCI breaker protect the entire circuit?
Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While never enforced just note the list of equipment in 250.114 that is not permitted to be plugged into a receptacle that does not have an equipment grounding conductor. The addition of GFCI protection does not change that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
While never enforced just note the list of equipment in 250.114 that is not permitted to be plugged into a receptacle that does not have an equipment grounding conductor. The addition of GFCI protection does not change that.
I had a few lines written up explaining the GFCI didn't add or replace an EGC but decided to just answer the question as asked. I will also agree, the list of non-allowed items to be plugged in never is enforced, nor do I know how it would be.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I had a few lines written up explaining the GFCI didn't add or replace an EGC but decided to just answer the question as asked. I will also agree, the list of non-allowed items to be plugged in never is enforced, nor do I know how it would be.
I tried to get an exception for that rule for the cases where GFCIs are added to circuits that do not have EGCs, but CMP5 says the items listed in 250.114 must be connected to a circuit that has an EGC.

garbo

A GFCI breaker would also provide the same protection as a GFCI receptacle on a 2 wire circuit with no ground wire. Both work by measuring a current unbalnce. If more than 4 to 6 milliamps flow just in one of the conductors they will trip out.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Now... if he changes the breaker to GFCI he is fine... but once he throws in a new receptacle... boom AFCI violation! 🤪 🤪 🤪 There is always that one guy who ruins it. (406.5(D)(4)).

Status
Not open for further replies.