Ground bushing required on plastic enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

A 1/2" EMT is interrupted by a nonmetallic enclosure, there is an EGC in the conduit, the other end of each conduit lands in a bonded metal enclosure, circuit is 20A 277V. Do the two EMT connectors that enter the nonmetallic enclosure need to have ground bushings and a bonding wire?

Todd0x1

Thanks, I'm not sure how to interpret 250.97. In this case the nonmetallic enclosure is a listed disconnect. 250.97 says the continuity of the conduit must be ensured. Would a pipe entering and another leaving a disconnect be considered a single conduit that must be electrically continuous? This is a disco supplying a little AC unit. Perhaps they can get around this by just using LFNC from the disco to the AC unit, then the EMT deadends in the plastic box.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
A 1/2" EMT is interrupted by a nonmetallic enclosure, there is an EGC in the conduit, the other end of each conduit lands in a bonded metal enclosure, circuit is 20A 277V. Do the two EMT connectors that enter the nonmetallic enclosure need to have ground bushings and a bonding wire?
Yes

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
As long as the other ends of both conduits are connected to metal enclosures, you don't need to do anything thing with them.
All entries must be bonded:

314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes.
Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.

Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

Exception No. 2: Where integral bonding means with a provision for attaching an equipment bonding jumper inside the box are provided between all threaded entries in nonmetallic boxes listed for the purpose, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree the bonding bushings are required if the box doesn't have an integral means to bond the two raceways.

I agree the bonding bushings are required if the box doesn't have an integral means to bond the two raceways.
All entries must be bonded:

314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes.
Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.

Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

Exception No. 2: Where integral bonding means with a provision for attaching an equipment bonding jumper inside the box are provided between all threaded entries in nonmetallic boxes listed for the purpose, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.

Ok, DrSparks reference is for boxes though. What if it's not a box? Sounds like the OP doesn't have a box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think his question has to do with whether or not the conduit needs bonding on each end. It seems like so far the answer is YES and NO.
It seems like a simple question. It's for 277 volts
Sounds Iike he's only asking about the non-metallic enclosure.
Do the two EMT connectors that enter the nonmetallic enclosure need to have ground bushings and a bonding wire?

Todd0x1

The question is does the code section in post #6 apply.

I would argue no, this is an enclosed disconnect switch. 314 applies to Outlet, Device, Pull, and Junction Boxes; Conduit Bodies; Fittings; and Handhole Enclosures.

Seems like it would be covered by 404 where 404.12 only states
"Where nonmetallic enclosures are used with
metal raceways or metal-armored cables, provision shall be
made for connecting the equipment grounding conductor(s)."

Status
Not open for further replies.