Specs of Lightning rod for a hydrogen manufacturing facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahzad

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello Folks,

I am trying to find a specifications to specify a lightning rod for a facility that produces / manufactures hydrogen. I have not designed the lightning system in the past so looking for some help if some can guide me where to start and how to find what type of lightning rod I would need for hydrogen facility? Any reference of NEC, CEC or IEEE reference would be helpful.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You probably want to look into NFPA 2 and NFPA 780

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello Folks,

I am trying to find a specifications to specify a lightning rod for a facility that produces / manufactures hydrogen. I have not designed the lightning system in the past so looking for some help if some can guide me where to start and how to find what type of lightning rod I would need for hydrogen facility? Any reference of NEC, CEC or IEEE reference would be helpful.
In the UL such systems are required to be designed and installed by a NRTL listed supplier.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is NRTL listed supplier? What about Canada, cUL system?
Nrtl = nationally recognized testing lab such as UL. I don't know what the rules in Canada are for such things. I don't know all that much about the rules in the US either since lightning protection systems are not that common.

I seriously doubt that there is any special lightning rod used for hydrogen production facilities, as opposed to some other facility. It is probably best to farm this out to somebody who actually knows a whole lot more about it than either of us.

Shahzad

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Nrtl = nationally recognized testing lab such as UL. I don't know what the rules in Canada are for such things. I don't know all that much about the rules in the US either since lightning protection systems are not that common.

I seriously doubt that there is any special lightning rod used for hydrogen production facilities, as opposed to some other facility. It is probably best to farm this out to somebody who actually knows a whole lot more about it than either of us.
Thanks

Regarding Hydrogen gas in plastic piping, I guess it has potential of building up static electricity that can be hazardous, so it plastic piping needs to be grounds. My question is, what is it is a metallic pipe like carbon steel or stainless steel pipe that carries hydrogen, do we need to ground that metallic pipe too?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks

Regarding Hydrogen gas in plastic piping, I guess it has potential of building up static electricity that can be hazardous, so it plastic piping needs to be grounds. My question is, what is it is a metallic pipe like carbon steel or stainless steel pipe that carries hydrogen, do we need to ground that metallic pipe too?
It seems to me that you are asking some really basic design questions regarding this type of equipment. It is probably best to just pay someone competent in this type of equipment to do this part of the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.