Article 225.30 feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega4346

Occupation
Electrical
Hello I have a 350 amp service rack one panel on the left 200 amp one panel on the right 150 amp with the meter in the center. I have two separate conduit/feeders going to the structure . At the structure I have 150 amp main breaker 20 space exterior panel and a 200 amp exterior main breaker 20 space Exterior panel. In those panels I have the 220 circuits in there . Is everything to code? Because I believe the new 2020 NEC code allows multiple feeders going to the structure .

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can only have one feeder to a structure if the service is separate from the building. Sounds like that is what you have.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is the section

225.30 Number of Supplies.

A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (F). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.
Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional buildings or other structures, only one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to the original building or structure, unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (F).
(A) Special Conditions.

Additional feeders or branch circuits shall be permitted to supply the following:
  • (1)
    Fire pumps
  • (2)
    Emergency systems
  • (3)
    Legally required standby systems
  • (4)
    Optional standby systems
  • (5)
    Parallel power production systems
  • (6)
    Systems designed for connection to multiple sources of supply for the purpose of enhanced reliability
  • (7)
    Electric vehicle charging systems listed, labeled, and identified for more than a single branch circuit or feeder
  • (8)
    Docking facilities and piers

Vega4346

Occupation
Electrical
In the 2020 NEC code book section 225.30B Was revised to allow multiple feeders Originating in the same panel board, switchboard, or other distribution equipment, and terminating in a single disconnecting means at the load end.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In the 2020 NEC code book section 225.30B Was revised to allow multiple feeders Originating in the same panel board, switchboard, or other distribution equipment, and terminating in a single disconnecting means at the load end.
I posted the 2020 section. I don't think you can do what you posted

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I posted the 2020 section. I don't think you can do what you posted
You did not go far enough down the section.
(B) Common Supply Equipment.
Where feeder conductors originate in the same panelboard, switchboard, or other distribution equipment, and each feeder terminates in a single disconnecting means, not more than six feeders shall be permitted. Where more than one feeder is installed in accordance with this section, all feeder disconnects supplying the building or structure shall be grouped in the same location, and the requirements of 225.33 shall not apply. Each disconnect shall be marked to indicate the load served.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
But it sounds like each feeder is originating from its own panel board and not a single one. They probably all originate from the same meter, but I"m not sure that is the intent of this section.

Vega4346

Occupation
Electrical
I think it would be considered other distribution equipment. And each feeder terminates in its own disconnect All in one location With no more than six feeders maximum

Vega4346

Occupation
Electrical
what is the code for an exterior panel installation with the wires coming in through the back?, how high can I penetrate the hole on the back of the panel for the wires to come in through the back . I need to drop the panel height about 20”

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
what is the code for an exterior panel installation with the wires coming in through the back?, how high can I penetrate the hole on the back of the panel for the wires to come in through the back . I need to drop the panel height about 20”
Unless it is a mobile home then there is no lower limit for a panel. I personal think that is a horrible idea. I believe a trailer needs to be 24" off the ground but anywhere else it can be right on the ground....theoretically anyway.

Vega4346

Occupation
Electrical
Ok so in the exterior panel it has a knockout on the back bottom area for the wires to Enter the panel. Can I make a 2” knock out on the back upper half of the exterior panel ? This will allow me to drop the panel about 20” since The main breaker disconnect sits at about 8’ right now .

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ok so in the exterior panel it has a knockout on the back bottom area for the wires to Enter the panel. Can I make a 2” knock out on the back upper half of the exterior panel ? This will allow me to drop the panel about 20” since The main breaker disconnect sits at about 8’ right now .
If you do that then you created a hole above the busbar so you would need to use either erickson type connectors or some sealing locknuts

Status
Not open for further replies.