Commercial Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjh4405

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a Cutler Hammer PRL1A panel. I need a GFCI protected breaker in a commercial building. In the product catalog for the panel it lists both QBGF and QBHGF as approved branch circuit breakers. The circuit breakers dimensions are different. How do I know which one will work? Also, what does the H mean?

Tjh4405

Occupation
Master Electrician
Type QBGF: 15-50 Amperes,. 10,000 AIC.
Type QBHGF: 15-30 Amperes,. 22,000 AIC.
How do I decide which one? Is it just a liability decision, an operational decision by the property owner, application or an actual calculation? We can’t control the gf current at the time of a short circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How do I decide which one? Is it just a liability decision, an operational decision by the property owner, application or an actual calculation? We can’t control the gf current at the time of a short circuit.
What kind of circuit breakers are in their now?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Your breakers need to be rated for the available short circuit current. Anew service today would require a label with the available SSC.
What is the AIC rating of the service disconnect and branch breakers?

Tjh4405

Occupation
Master Electrician
Your breakers need to be rated for the available short circuit current. Anew service today would require a label with the available SSC.
What is the AIC rating of the service disconnect and branch breakers?
I’m not sure but will do another site visit to find out. Should the breaker I select match the AIC of the main?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I’m not sure but will do another site visit to find out. Should the breaker I select match the AIC of the main?
If all of the existing branch circuit breakers are the same say 10KAIC then that is what I would use.

g-and-h_electric

Occupation
supervising electrician
Just a thought

If you are under 20 Amp and single pole breaker, why not use a faceless GFCI adjacent to the panel? I had to do this last spring as the supply house told me the breaker was 5 weeks out, and I think north of 200 bucks

My use was for some pool lights, and I think I even asked here for thoughts if that was viable, and was told it would be fine.

Howard

Tjh4405

Occupation
Master Electrician
Just a thought

If you are under 20 Amp and single pole breaker, why not use a faceless GFCI adjacent to the panel? I had to do this last spring as the supply house told me the breaker was 5 weeks out, and I think north of 200 bucks

My use was for some pool lights, and I think I even asked here for thoughts if that was viable, and was told it would be fine.

Howard
Yeah I’m actually planning that on an indoor pool in January. I’m doing a 30 amp 2-pole and (2) 20 amp dedicated all gfci protected on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.