Overhead Feeder Using ACSR Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyEngineering

Does the connection of the grounded conductor to the grounding electrode conductor (system bonding jumper) need to be made in the disconnect switch where the overhead electric service enters the disconnect switch?

My reason for asking…..

I have a project for an outdoor park where we are taking OH service from the utility company at a backboard to be located adjacent to the utility companies’ pole. This utility company pole is as far as the they will come into the property with the OH 3 phase service. We will receive the 200A service from the power company terminate in a disconnect and run this OH to a shed about 30-40 yards away. The issue I am running into is Quad Plex only comes with the 4 wires plus messenger cable. If I ground the service at the first disconnect I need the 3 phase conductors, a neutral and a ground installed to the out buildingper 250.32. If I do not bond the neutral at the first disconnect, I can just run 3 phase conductors plus a neutral OH to the shed and make the main bonding connection at the panel in the shed and establish the GES there.

This seems like such a simple thing as I am sure this is done frequently so I am missing something. I spoke to a guy with Cooper Electric who confirmed their quad-plex does not have a ground wire included. He suggested adding a separate ground wire and running it with the quadplex????

Any problems with this/Suggestions/do’s/don’ts? I do not do much OH work so need to be sure.

Thanks for looking!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
At one time that was compliant but you can no longer run a feeder to a separate structure without an equipment grounding conductor.

Your first sentence seems to address a different issue because the grounding electrode conductor can be made anywhere as long it is part of the service.

You will still need a grounding electrode at the shed and a grounding electrode conductor connected to the shed panel

LibertyEngineering

At one time that was compliant but you can no longer run a feeder to a separate structure without an equipment grounding conductor.

Your first sentence seems to address a different issue because the grounding electrode conductor can be made anywhere as long it is part of the service.

You will still need a grounding electrode at the shed and a grounding electrode conductor connected to the shed panel
Sorry so confusing. I was posting a question than trying to list a possible solution. So if I were to choose to not bond the neutral to ground at the first disconnecting means and just run the service through the service disconnect and over to the shed the ground is still required? I guess I thought by not bonding the neutral to ground at the first disconnect I did not need a ground wire run with the feeder but now that I say this sounds incorrect.

The bigger issue and reason for my post is the fact that ASCR cable does not come with a ground wire so.... Just run the ground wire separate from the quadplex?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You have to do the bonding at the first disconnect but that doesn't change the need for an equipment grounding conductor to the shed.

If you connected the overhead conductors ahead of the disconnect-- make a tap on the service conductors then you would not need an equipment grounding conductor.

LibertyEngineering

You have to do the bonding at the first disconnect but that doesn't change the need for an equipment grounding conductor to the shed.

If you connected the overhead conductors ahead of the disconnect-- make a tap on the service conductors then you would not need an equipment grounding conductor.
Power company would not allow that but thanks for the suggestion. How would you deal with the ground with the ACSR running overhead since quadplex does not include a ground wire? I suppose just install a separate ground with the ASCR cable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Power company would not allow that but thanks for the suggestion. How would you deal with the ground with the ACSR running overhead since quadplex does not include a ground wire? I suppose just install a separate ground with the ASCR cable.
Maybe I wasn't clear, you would connect the conductors to the shed after the meter and before the disconnect. The power company shouldn't have anything to say about that as their demarcation would be at the meter line side.

LibertyEngineering

Maybe I wasn't clear, you would connect the conductors to the shed after the meter and before the disconnect. The power company shouldn't have anything to say about that as their demarcation would be at the meter line side.
Hmmmm..... You mean like this?......Sorry for the rudimentary sketch.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 8

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I thought you were feeding a building and then to the shed. If what I see is what you have then you don't need an equipment grounding conductor as long as their is no disconnect by the meter.

LibertyEngineering

I thought you were feeding a building and then to the shed. If what I see is what you have then you don't need an equipment grounding conductor as long as their is no disconnect by the meter.
The only reason for the service is the shed but the power company will not extend their service into the park any further and they did not want to run UG conductors. I was originally going to add a disconnect switch next to the meter mainly because it is what you would typically do. But in this case all I need to do is meter the incoming conductors since it is the POCO demarc point.
My brain went right to the need for a service disconnect there which would than dictate a ground is now required but since we have not entered a structure, no need for the disconnect till I get to the shed. Thanks for hashing this out with me and forgive my inexperience with OH conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.