Production Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Curious if anyone here has installed 4" PVC coated RGS in the ground?

Generally speaking, If trench dug an stands installed how much could you get in a day( 7 hours) with average # of bends?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Curious if anyone here has installed 4" PVC coated RGS in the ground?

Generally speaking, If trench dug an stands installed how much could you get in a day( 7 hours) with average # of bends?
I have not had to use PVC coated conduit in a while but my memory of it seems to be that it was no worse than regular rigid to run other than having to touch up the PVC coating.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Back when I was a helper, we had to bury a couple of hundred feet of RGS, and I got the job of coating the entire run with tar as we assembled it above ground on 2x4s and laid it in the trench.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
And touching it up properly while it’s laying in a trench may be a real PITA.
Unless the guys doing the work are real pigs at it, the amount of touchup is not too bad. It is just painted on over any scuffs or cracks. The worst of it is where you bend it. It can get really beat up there if the guys doing the bending are not careful. I never had our guys do any bending of the PVC coated pipe. I just ordered elbows that were already bent.

Another thing I never liked about PVC coated conduit was having to order it all in advance. It is not like you can go down to the local conduit store if you are missing a few fittings.

cadpoint

If you get the job, get with OCal rep. and great their real strap wrench (tan or yellow) depending on color perception!
The white on is good till you get cutting oil on it, then it's junk!

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Unless the guys doing the work are real pigs at it, the amount of touchup is not too bad. It is just painted on over any scuffs or cracks. The worst of it is where you bend it. It can get really beat up there if the guys doing the bending are not careful. I never had our guys do any bending of the PVC coated pipe. I just ordered elbows that were already bent.

Another thing I never liked about PVC coated conduit was having to order it all in advance. It is not like you can go down to the local conduit store if you are missing a few fittings.
The one time I saw any of it was a few 45's on the counter they had ordered for someone. I have mostly heard it called Rob Roy by people who had ever used it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The one time I saw any of it was a few 45's on the counter they had ordered for someone. I have mostly heard it called Rob Roy by people who had ever used it.
I think there are a couple companies that make it. You can also just buy regular fittings and send them in be be coated. I had to do that for a few pieces. I don't think it took more than a couple weeks. But that was back in the 80s.

A couple of times we just coated the conduit and fittings with plasite.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Coated is much slower to install if you have to cut and thread. It takes oversize shoes to bend. When threading the the threader vice can damage the coating, same with pipe wrenches. Special clamps as well

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

And there will be one fitting not locally stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.