Boat trickle charge battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I have a friend who has a trickle charger for his boat. It's plugged into a switched exterior gfci receptacle. He wants to know if it is bad to leave the charger hooked up and plugged in and turn the switch off to the receptacle. He thinks the current will drain back out of the charger if not disconnected ( I guess like water). I would think it would be perfectly fine but would like to confirm. I've heard stranger things.
Thank you

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Do you mean connected to the battery while the switch is off? I suppose it depends on the charger's design as to whether there may be some leakage (within the charger) that could discharge the battery, but I rather doubt it. Why not just keep the charger powered all the time?

-Hal

ritelec

Thank you Hal,
His exterior sconce and post light are also switched with the receptacle. He would rather not leave the lights on all night.
I mentioned I would do something about getting a always hot receptacle out there, but I'm also getting tired of making work for myself :- ).

Ravenvalor

Do you mean connected to the battery while the switch is off? I suppose it depends on the charger's design as to whether there may be some leakage (within the charger) that could discharge the battery, but I rather doubt it. Why not just keep the charger powered all the time?

-Hal
Does anyone know of the statistics pertaining to how often chargers catch on fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.