Master Electrical license for new LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexowen1

New User
Occupation
Journeymen electrician
Hi there. Im a journeyman currently obtaining my masters. I have jobs that start prior to my masters going in to affect. Im establishing a LLC this week with my attorney. (Massachusetts)
My father in law is a retired master electrician who will be available to help me only as needed. Can I/Should I put the company under his masters for the time being?
If I put under my journeyman as LLC do I have to use my first name.....Electrician as company name??
Trying to avoid that.....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there some rule in Massachusetts that your name has to be part of the company name? I have never heard of that. As far as I know you can call your company anything you want as long as no one else in your county has the same name for their company.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd say this all depends on the AHJ rules where the work is to take place.

Here if you don't yet have that license, you won't get a permit, and in your situation you would probably need your FIL to apply for the permit. He would still need to be carrying liability insurance or he wouldn't get a permit either, though you possibly could be the one carrying it and have him as the person of record on file for the master/contractor license holder for your organization.

I would say if you LLC is not official yet, then you probably file with your name and not your business name, or maybe your name and a dba but not necessarily put any LLC suffix on it until it is official.

tepalia02

Occupation
Engineer
Hi there. Im a journeyman currently obtaining my masters. I have jobs that start prior to my masters going in to affect. Im establishing a LLC this week with my attorney. (Massachusetts)
My father in law is a retired master electrician who will be available to help me only as needed. Can I/Should I put the company under his masters for the time being?
If I put under my journeyman as LLC do I have to use my first name.....Electrician as company name??
Trying to avoid that.....
I'd like to say that first know the rule of Massachusetts well. If by state law, you are still not entitled to work as an electrician or electrical consultant, you'd better put the company under your father-in-law's masters for this time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.