EV chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

I have client who is requesting we install some ev charges for them, there asking me for pricing to install a unit where the customer can pull up and pay to charge there car or an option where the building just pays for it them selves , can anyone recommend a unit I've only installed tesla chargers before not any of those generic ones that can charge any ev. thank you

Last edited:

retirede

Speaking only as a user, not a system designer or installer, Chargepoint seems to be a pretty common brand. I think their commercial units can be setup either way.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
EvoCharge is open protocol, and their Type 2 charger that is network configurable (capable of billing) is like $500 less than ChargePoint's comparable unit. EvoCharge does not have any subscription plans. If you use a network service provider for billing management or have to setup a Cellular LTE service because WiFi is unavailable, the end user may run into monthly fees through those, but I know EvoCharge does not require a monthly service fee (maybe ChargePoint doesn't either, IDK).

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most of the manufacturers have a version that does that. Years ago Eaton had one that used a access card to be used by employees, or the public could use it through web app. I imagine the technology has advanced greatly by now. Putting in my first Rivian charger after the 4th. Looks pretty straight forward, no neutral required. Amp setting by dip switches, with default at 60 amps.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
For a typical Type 2 commercial application, you should not require readily accessible disconnect within site of the charger. Even if you get into the larger units that would be used for quick charging or charging large commercial vehicles like fleet vans, buses, semis, etc. I believe you can still have the disconnect be out of site so long as it's capable of being locked off.

nickelec

Ty I thought the same they want to add 4, 2 double chargers. I plan to run one circuit to each location and top to feed both units

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

nickelec

Blink

Just installed some at an office building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of chargers were they? How did u like them ?were they easy to install etc.? my customer is asking me to quote a level 1 standard charger and level 2 where the tenants would be required to pay for charging. From what ive been seeing is that the level 2 chargers that have the abilty to except payments are significantly more costly and also need additional wiring for network etc.

retirede

What type of chargers were they? How did u like them ?were they easy to install etc.? my customer is asking me to quote a level 1 standard charger and level 2 where the tenants would be required to pay for charging. From what ive been seeing is that the level 2 chargers that have the abilty to except payments are significantly more costly and also need additional wiring for network etc.

Level 1 are cord and plug, 120V. Standard NEMA 5-15. I’ve never seen a permanently mounted one. They are about the size of a brick.

nickelec

Blink

Just installed some at an office building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbilly1

Occupation
Most of the commercial ones use cellular data. When I was installing Blink’s they were constantly updating the software using a SD card. Probably doing it over the internet now.

nickelec

If i had two units at 40 amps a piece i could run an 80 feeder from panel and tap it to feed the two units. i dont see why i cant would anyone disagree

hillbilly1

Occupation
I was working with Eaton’s engineers years ago, to design a loop feed like what is used on RV sites. Station would have a built in 40 amp breaker, with a tap of 100 or 200 amp loop through. Don’t know if it was ever brought into production.

retirede

If i had two units at 40 amps a piece i could run an 80 feeder from panel and tap it to feed the two units. i dont see why i cant would anyone disagree

Two 40A EVSEs would require a 100A feeder unless they are smart units that could limit the total draw to 64A when both are in use.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Blink IQ 200 Level 2. https://blinkcharging.com/products/iq-200/

Installation was a matter of providing a dedicated 100A circuit to each. They can be configured to share a common circuit. But we landed power, energized, and walked away. They have a cellular modem for communication.

Blink has a shared revenue program in which they provide equipment free of charge, your client may be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.