Master Electrician duties

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
What would you say are reasonable duties as master of record for a shop. I understand about the responsibility of the work performed and liability but as master of record what other day to day work should be part of the job? I see most companies that advertise for master of record have laundry list of duties plus field work and other only want to RENT your license per month. I would like to hear from people who have sponsored a company and what duties were part of the job good and bad. Thanks in advance for all replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
What would you say are reasonable duties as master of record for a shop. I understand about the responsibility of the work performed and liability but as master of record what other day to day work should be part of the job? I see most companies that advertise for master of record have laundry list of duties plus field work and other only want to RENT your license per month. I would like to hear from people who have sponsored a company and what duties were part of the job good and bad. Thanks in advance for all replies.
I'd say to oversee the design, plan and layout of the electrical work and create and/or oversee making shop drawings, load calculations and selecting proper materials. Directly oversee the installation of electrical services over 400A or 600V.

Good question because it brings up the business part of your "mastering." Like any job that an employer desires to fill and a potential employee desires to have, the work description like the wages are negotiated and the final negotiated agreement is written into a contract. Or not. That contract is part of the negotiation.

The more salient question is first, "What do you want to sell?" When you are clear about this, you can move onto deciding how and when do you want to be paid and for how long? For example, you mentioned "renting" in your question. Rent is paid in advance and I recommend this. The qualifying party is an administrative position that establishes whether the company will be in business or not in the same way that the place of business establishes the business.

If the business is small or you want to work for foreman wages and work with your tools on, or not, this is part of the negotiation. If the company is larger, then maybe they want you to provide work that is done from a desk. The whole agreement pivots on what you are selling and what they want to buy.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Or they just want to use your master's and you have no say so in the running of the jobs or business.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
In California it is called an "RMO" ... It quickly became a cottage industry for contractors renting out their licenses. The only problem it got out of hand ... they couldn't supervise all of them at once. So, CSLB started reinforcing their requirements of direct daily supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.