Article on 2023 NEC revisions for cable articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A good overview of the changes to the 2023 NEC on the cable articles in Cabling Installation and Maint
Article 725 no longer has Class 1, that wiring is now in Art 724.
Fiber optical cable has been moved 722
There is a new article on Class 4 wiring, 726- this is called Digital Electricy
And for only the second time since I started an NEC article was deleted, Art 720. It was a unique article on farm power systems
The article also uses an interesting term for LV cables that can be together, "Snuggle Up"
cablinginstall.com/cablinginstall/20220506/MobilePagedReplica.action?u1=DA0522&utm_source=ws&utm_content=gtxcel&pm=2&folio=12#pg15

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
And for only the second time since I started an NEC article was deleted, Art 720. It was a unique article on farm power systems
720 is used as a guideline for wiring off grid cabins that run off 12-48V, the US Forrest Service refered to it in their manuals for wiring buildings that ran off 12V deep cycles like fire lookout towers.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Interesting about the USFS. Article 720 was the shortest in the NEC….
There did not appear to be a whole lot of value in it either since The only requirements in it were to use unique receptacles for DC wiring, which I seem to recall was already required anyway so it seemed like a curious thing to me that they would need to have an entire article dedicated to something that seemed to be redundant.

I like that they moved class one wiring to its own article. Article 725 had gotten to be really huge and as badly written as it is hopefully they've taken the time to edit the class one stuff so it's at least somewhat easier to understand what the requirements actually are.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Did they put the verbiage of 510 somewhere else?
There were no real rules in Article 510. The following is the complete article.
Article 510 Hazardous (Classified) Locations — Specific
510.1 Scope.
Articles 511 through 517 cover occupancies or parts of occupancies that are or may be hazardous because of atmospheric concentrations of flammable liquids, gases, or vapors, or because of deposits or accumulations of materials that may be readily ignitible.

510.2 General.
The general rules of this Code and the provisions of Articles 500 through 504 shall apply to electrical wiring and equipment in occupancies within the scope of Articles 511 through 517, except as such rules are modified in Articles 511 through 517. Where unusual conditions exist in a specific occupancy, the authority having jurisdiction shall judge with respect to the application of specific rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I bet some wise guy will now argue that Articles 511 through 517 are exempt from Articles 500 through 504
The rules in those articles automatically apply to installations in classified areas.
501.1 Scope.
Article 501 covers the requirements for electrical and electronic equipment and wiring for all voltages in Class I, Division 1 and 2 locations where fire or explosion hazards may exist due to flammable gases or vapors or flammable liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.