Name the Code Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Building inspector: “I can’t give you a CO without a railing on that staircase.”

GC: “OK”…….
Accurate haha. I like the decks stairs where the railing doesn't count as a "real" railing so now you need to add a "real" railing.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
That panel cover looks like it is 60 years old. It also looks like the door was modified to be a lift up and off style instead of being hinged.

Rock86

Occupation
That panel cover looks like it is 60 years old. It also looks like the door was modified to be a lift up and off style instead of being hinged.
Thats a good guess. 50-60 years wouldn't be far off and yes, the panel cover has to be lifted off.

norcal

Reminds me of a circa 1976 office building that had 6 suites, each one had a ITE EQ 8F loadcenter in the bathrooms which has separate toilet rooms, but the panels are in cabinets behind a shelf, my non compliant solution as they were not getting moved was to remove the shelf, open the door, put the shelf back so could at least turn off circuits w/o too much trouble.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Besides the handrail, the latch type cover SHOULD be a code violation. I never saw any of them that were any good and
these are well painted over for good measure. I have long wanted to meet the man that invented these latches. I would shove a few
down his throat.

retirede

Besides the handrail, the latch type cover SHOULD be a code violation. I never saw any of them that were any good and
these are well painted over for good measure. I have long wanted to meet the man that invented these latches. I would shove a few
down his throat.

I guess the upside is that the rail kind of makes the latch irrelevant!

Rock86

Occupation
down his throat.
I'm with you. The latches are terrible, but lately I have been telling people "hey, want a million dollar idea... design an electrical panel cover that doesn't risk falling when you take the last screw out." I know there are few random covers that have a lower lip, and i believe some of the older murray panels had the upper tabs to hold it on, but does it really cost that much more to have a system to prevent the cover from falling when its loose?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Hopefully that panel has been turned into. Jbox with jo breakers or fuses left inside.

I'm with you. The latches are terrible, but lately I have been telling people "hey, want a million dollar idea... design an electrical panel cover that doesn't risk falling when you take the last screw out." I know there are few random covers that have a lower lip, and i believe some of the older murray panels had the upper tabs to hold it on, but does it really cost that much more to have a system to prevent the cover from falling when its loose?
Don't you know you're supposed to turn off all the breakers before removing the panel cover? ;)

Eaton's latest designs have opposite direction keyhole slots for the screws. So you remove the bottom two screws, and merely loosen the top two, and the cover hangs like you want while you put your screwdriver back in your pouch. Works for me.

What inspection we have today? Building. Please Install the railing...
What inspection we have today? Electrical. Please remove the railing...Boss how about the stairs? Hum...

"Latch the panel, re-install railing"
"Safety First"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What inspection we have today? Building. Please Install the railing...
What inspection we have today? Electrical. Please remove the railing...Boss how about the stairs? Hum...

"Latch the panel, re-install railing"
"Safety First"
Actually, it looks like there is enough room to lift the cover up and clear the railing for access to the box interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.