Conduit In Trench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I know there are several variables but looking for input on how much you 2" and 4" PVC schedule 80 you can get in a trench. Lets call it a 500' run of single 2" and a single 4" with minimal bends. Empty and the excavator is not holding you up.

How many hours per hundred feet roughly.

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
50 man hour 100, included opening, no concrete or tamping, and closing the duct bank. Yes, there are always variables involved pertaining. My end involving supervision, was knowing & balancing the exact hour numbers. You can't balance/turn a profit w/out knowing actual m/hr bid numbers on large projects.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
50 man hour 100, included opening, no concrete or tamping, and closing the duct bank. Yes, there are always variables involved pertaining. My end involving supervision, was knowing & balancing the exact hour numbers. You can't balance/turn a profit w/out knowing actual m/hr bid numbers on large projects.
Simply was asking about laying the conduit in the trench

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
If the conduit on site, and the weather is OK 18 man hours per hundred.
rush job, rocky site, difficult parking or lots of obstructions i'd say 22/100
Those numbers are for a 2" and a 4" PVC schedule 40 (not 80)

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
assuming you use an estimating software. Would you just not take the default labor hours for those sizes of pvc. It’s cut and try seems perfect for the program s default hr. I’ll see what Mc cormick says

James L

Occupation
Electrician
My last pvc job was 105 feet of 1½"

I trenched it (walk behind), installed it into a gutter on one end and stubbed up the other end, and backfilled it - 4 hours total

My last 3" was 120 feet
My buddy trenched it with a mini-ex
I installed from meter base to pedestal
I had it in the ground in an hour and a half

I'm saying if you have a clean trench and minimal bending, one guy should put 80 feet in the ground per hour

That would be about 12-13 hours for 1,000 feet
(500 ft each)

But that wouldn't include unloading, etc

kwired

Electron manager
Laying pvc in a trench excavated by others should be about 2-4 hours per hundred for 2-4"
I think you can do a lot more than that with single run of 2 inch, depending on a few factors.

One thing that can make a big difference - how are you laying out the supplies? Unloading from one end and carrying every 10 foot out to it's final location? Ability to drive close by the trench and unload pieces along the way? There are 20' lengths available, though those are not fully listed, they can speed things up some though if you happen to be using them.

4 inch will have some more difficulty factor than 2 inch and IMO the two can't be assigned the same/similar labor for installation.

installing just 1, 2 or 3 conduits in a trench is going to be different factor than if there are even more and you have to pay closer attention to spacing and such in the trench.

cdslotz

assuming you use an estimating software. Would you just not take the default labor hours for those sizes of pvc. It’s cut and try seems perfect for the program s default hr. I’ll see what Mc cormick says
He does, but yet he's constantly asking about how many man/hrs to do things that have been researched and documented for decades....even before computers. My electrical labor unit book I have from 1986 says...
2" 7 lbr hours
4" 11lbr hours
I guess he doesn't trust published labor units or something. I never question or argue labor units if I use the column that fits the installation

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Odd to me....
You have been "horsegoer" here for 14 years and had another name prior to that and. if I recall correctly, your job has been "estimator" for all that time. You should be telling us the time needed :)

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Maybe he just want to double check. To be honest the labor hours I put down I would lower to win the job I personally could do 100 in an hour if supplier dropped off.
It’s only 10 sticks to glue and throw in.
Probably would lower the labor hr by 2-3 hr per 100 feet.
.I wonder what NECA hr are 15 hr per 100 lol
For 2”

Status
Not open for further replies.