Hold Harmless Agreement for work done by others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Anyone have a sample Hold Harmless Agreement (HHA) for work done by others? Preferably New York state.
My former employer had a 1/2 page carbon copy disclaimer form in my van for 'work done by others', I would make owners sign when they had others doing electrical work, kinda like the disclaimer you sign at the gym.

There are packaged legal forms in pretty much every state, here are a few-

You might, or might not, run one of those by your lawyer anyway, but it'll be cheaper than asking them to draft one from scratch.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When you run it by your lawyer ask him whether it's worth the paper it's written on too. Some of these kinds of forms are not enforceable in many cases. There's nothing wrong with having somebody sign the form anyway but it may not have much value in court.

You generally are only responsible for things you do anyway. I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to accomplish with this form.

IHMO these forms mostly serve to inform the customer that they won't get a sympathetic ear if they come complaining about unrelated or existing and out-of-scope problems.

"The dishwasher doesn't work! You need to fix it!"
"When did it stop working?"
"Two weeks ago."
"Sir, we were there yesterday and installed a new light in the bathroom."

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to accomplish with this form.
I try to create a record of any work done by others that overlaps the same time I am doing work.

Here are two recent annoyances;
I worked on a bedroom addition and a window became a sliding door, we never got a call for a change order. I had a receptacle under the window. Now its gone and a door is there. The GC whom says "we do it all" right on his pickup said he 'had one of his people bury two junction boxes on either side of the door'.

Another fun one is we had some 3" PVC in a trench. I came back and it was moved, GC (different GC) did not know anything about it, turns out the excavators moved it slightly then covered it, compacted gravel and poured. They say their guys do PVC all the time and its 'fine'.
Now there is a coupling and a 45 in the ground that was not there before, is it fine who knows?
These sorta things.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I try to create a record of any work done by others that overlaps the same time I am doing work.

Here are two recent annoyances;
I worked on a bedroom addition and a window became a sliding door, we never got a call for a change order. I had a receptacle under the window. Now its gone and a door is there. The GC whom says "we do it all" right on his pickup said he 'had one of his people bury two junction boxes on either side of the door'.

Another fun one is we had some 3" PVC in a trench. I came back and it was moved, GC (different GC) did not know anything about it, turns out the excavators moved it slightly then covered it, compacted gravel and poured. They say their guys do PVC all the time and its 'fine'.
Now there is a coupling and a 45 in the ground that was not there before, is it fine who knows?
These sorta things.
How will a form protect you in these cases? You would need to prove someone else did the work that caused the problem. The form does not do that. It just says that you are not responsible for things you are not responsible for. It seems redundant to me.

Now if there is something you notice that is problematic, I would be writing the customer an email and explaining just what the issue is. Or you could add it to the invoice statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.