Lutron casata

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
I installed a lutron casta

PD-6ANS-WH​

And follow the wiring diagram and the double checked it is correct

But the switch won't work, there is no light fixture installed at the moment and I'm getting 120 volt at the light box ,when I try to turn it off I still have 120v , is the switch broken. ??

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's likely passing trickle current. Try it with a temporary load or a solenoid tester.

This is why a low-impedance tester is preferable to a voltmeter for troubleshooting.

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
It's likely passing trickle current. Try it with a temporary load or a solenoid tester.

This is why a low-impedance tester is preferable to a voltmeter for troubleshooting.
What is trickle current and what is a low - impedance tester ? Thanks again

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If the switch does not have a neutral, it will need an incandescent load to work, sometimes they will work with LED, but will flash the lamp when you try to dim it if it has a dimming function.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Those switches don't have a typical on/off like a regular switch, they just change states internally. It may show 120V when off but won't be a true voltage. They also have an extra wire for a 3-way set-up if you need it. So that wire may be why you're reading voltage at the light location. I think there would have to be a light, or other load for the switch to process, through feedback from the load, what state it should be in, such as on or off.
They also work off a wireless remote. If I'm not mistaken, when you install one and turn the power on, the light will be on. You then hit the off side of the switch to tell it to change states to off.
In short, install a light, then see if it works correctly.

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
Those switches don't have a typical on/off like a regular switch, they just change states internally. It may show 120V when off but won't be a true voltage. They also have an extra wire for a 3-way set-up if you need it. So that wire may be why you're reading voltage at the light location. I think there would have to be a light, or other load for the switch to process, through feedback from the load, what state it should be in, such as on or off.
They also work off a wireless remote. If I'm not mistaken, when you install one and turn the power on, the light will be on. You then hit the off side of the switch to tell it to change states to off.
In short, install a light, then see if it works correctly.
That was very helpful thanks,. Is there any way to test the actual voltage with this type of switch?