Technical Issues with Electric Coolers: Seeking Solutions

Colliewood

Occupation
Engineer
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an electric cooler for my camping trips, and while it has been convenient, I've encountered a few technical issues that I hope someone can shed some light on. Firstly, I've noticed that the cooler tends to consume a significant amount of power, draining the battery faster than expected. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a solution to optimize power usage?

Additionally, I've noticed that the cooling performance is not as efficient as I had hoped, especially in hotter climates. Are there any tips or tricks to enhance the cooling efficiency of electric coolers? I'd appreciate any insights or advice you may have regarding these technical challenges.

I'm really sorry if it's off topic and not relevant to the forum.

Colliewood

Occupation
Engineer
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an electric cooler for my camping trips, and while it has been convenient, I've encountered a few technical issues that I hope someone can shed some light on. Firstly, I've noticed that the cooler tends to consume a significant amount of power, draining the battery faster than expected. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a solution to optimize power usage?

Additionally, I've noticed that the electric coolers cooling performance is not as efficient as I had hoped, especially in hotter climates. Are there any tips or tricks to enhance the cooling efficiency of electric coolers? I'd appreciate any insights or advice you may have regarding these technical challenges.

I'm really sorry if it's off topic and not relevant to the forum.
Thanks in advance for any help!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you have discovered the biggest problem with thermoelectric coolers. They just aren't very efficient and don't remove as much heat as might be convenient. I don't think you're going to find a fix for this problem.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
As I understand them, thermoelectric coolers are thermocouples 'running in reverse--' instead of heat generating power, power is fed into the thermocouple. One side of the junction gets cold, the other gets hot.
Perhaps a fan on the 'hot' side would improve things.... but then you're juggling more power for the van vs improved efficiency for the cooling side...

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It’s not necessarily off-topic, but you are dealing with a large DC load on a battery. A marine battery,, AGM, battery, or automotive battery are only able to be discharged to 50% of capacity a little misleading if you look at the battery capacity. Below 12.2 V which is 50% you significantly shorten battery life. It’s important that you let you use a large conductor between the cooler and the battery to minimize voltage drop. Also, I would recommend if this is important to you for the cooler to use a lithium ion battery which can be discharged to essentially 0%. You might consider an alternative power source such as a Jackery, and perhaps a few portable solar panels

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Ammonia gas on propane. About as efficient as you're going to get off grid. No idea where you'd find one though. At least not a small one like a cooler

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Salt the ice and you can freeze stuff. Sometimes by accident. I was the hero for making our beverages really cold when we sat around the fire. Next morning I was an A whole for making everything freeze and burst overnight

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think you have discovered the biggest problem with thermoelectric coolers. They just aren't very efficient and don't remove as much heat as might be convenient. I don't think you're going to find a fix for this problem.
Yep, I looked into them for keeping electrical equipment cool without needing to have a compressor, it's just not that feasible (although that doesn't stop people from making and selling them). I think I found that you can't go more than a 40deg. F delta, so if it is 100deg F outside, you are not going to get colder than 60F in the cooler. That's not beer cool (unless you are in England...)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
On a more serious note, could they work as "two stage"? Hot side of the first one dumping it's heat into the cold side of the second?
A multi-stage thermoelectric cooler? Who are we, NASA? I shudder to contemplate the overall efficiency.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Thermoelectric coolers have a really huge problem: You want wide short conductors for good electrical conductivity in the junctions, but you want long skinny conductors for good thermal insulation. The system ends up optimized to operate continuously at a single heat pumping rate at a single temperature differential, and is a huge thermal bridge when it isn't pumping.

Multi-stage TECs are possible, and might be more optimal for high temperature differentials, but even less efficient for most uses.

IMHO if you want to optimize for better efficiency and temperature differential capacity, you want to use a cooler with a DC powered compressor based cooling system.

-Jon