Technical Issues with Electric Coolers: Seeking Solutions

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Thermoelectric coolers have a really huge problem: You want wide short conductors for good electrical conductivity in the junctions, but you want long skinny conductors for good thermal insulation. The system ends up optimized to operate continuously at a single heat pumping rate at a single temperature differential, and is a huge thermal bridge when it isn't pumping.

Multi-stage TECs are possible, and might be more optimal for high temperature differentials, but even less efficient for most uses.

IMHO if you want to optimize for better efficiency and temperature differential capacity, you want to use a cooler with a DC powered compressor based cooling system.

-Jon
Those are very common in marine and some RVs. My class B van has a novakool compressor fridge/freezer works great but needs ample dc power, my 200 ah agm is good for 1-2 days, I have 300 watts solar which helps.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
A multi-stage thermoelectric cooler? Who are we, NASA? I shudder to contemplate the overall efficiency.
search for Adam Savage (Mythbusters) building a NASA-type mini-refrigeration unit for under his costumes. It's mechanical, but teensy-weensy!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Serval ad makes no sense. How can I have moist cold and dry cold in the same area?

I found the Peltier junctions coolers really need LARGE heat sinks and fans to get rid of the heat removed, or they just start heating the cold side. After all, they do consume electricity... ;)

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I guess because I did a couple of searches on this topic, I got served an ad for a 12V vapor cycle refrigerator (or freezer) in a portable cooler form factor.

The specs look pretty good, and the price is inline with what I would expect (high, but not crazy compared to something like a ruggedized dorm fridge).

As a compressor based system I'd expect better efficiency than a thermoelectric system.

I have no idea about the actual quality.

Jon

retirede

I guess because I did a couple of searches on this topic, I got served an ad for a 12V vapor cycle refrigerator (or freezer) in a portable cooler form factor.

The specs look pretty good, and the price is inline with what I would expect (high, but not crazy compared to something like a ruggedized dorm fridge).

As a compressor based system I'd expect better efficiency than a thermoelectric system.

I have no idea about the actual quality.

Jon

I think Bouge has a good reputation in the camping community.