Rural shirt pocket rules

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don't circuits in kitchens have to be 20 A? Can someone certify that you can have a 15A duplex on a 20A circuit?
Given that toaster ovens, counter top microwaves, and hot plates may be in use, a 20A duplex does make sense (even if not required).
When is the last time you saw a kitchen appliance with a 20 amp plug? I have never seen one for a dwelling unit. Take a look at Table 210.21(B)(3) but keep in mind that a duplex receptacle is TWO receptacles for the purposes of the NEC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don't circuits in kitchens have to be 20 A? Can someone certify that you can have a 15A duplex on a 20A circuit?
Yes and yes. Yes, the circuit must be 20a, and yes, it's in the NEC.

Given that toaster ovens, counter top microwaves, and hot plates may be in use, a 20A duplex does make sense (even if not required).
There is a difference between a 20a receptacle capability and a 20a receptacle blade slot configuration.

For a given grade, a 15a and a 20a receptacle have the same capacity, if not the same conductive parts.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
#8 solid copper bonding wire for a pool has to go all the way back to the load center.

20 amp rated receptacles HAVE to be used in residential kitchens . Not single receptacles, duplex receptacles that serve countertop space .
That's a rule in Canada to have 20 amp outlets on 20 amp circuits. They also are allowed to do split a 15 amp multiwire outlet instead of a 20 amp circuit for kitchen counter top appliance outlets.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
When is the last time you saw a kitchen appliance with a 20 amp plug? I have never seen one for a dwelling unit. Take a look at Table 210.21(B)(3) but keep in mind that a duplex receptacle is TWO receptacles for the purposes of the NEC.
I had to go back to a job about 5 years ago because they had a toaster oven that needed a t slot 20 amp receptacle. It had its own circuit on the counter but we only had 15 amp gfis when we trimmed it out.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Here's an explanation of that myth
I'm sorry, I just don't find it credible that the charge can leak out (as opposed to self-discharge) without the electrolyte also leaking out. No liquid leaks, no path for charge leaks, doesn't matter what it's resting on.

... She asked the mechanic if that was a real thing and he said "Oh definitely, it's a real thing!" Then she pointed out that this was the old battery that was going back to Costco for the core charge and the guy said "well, if they know you stored it improperly they might not take it back."

Wow, just wow...
You sure he wasn't just jerking her around? A variation on the Pink Tax, perhaps?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Ya don't need much insulation in floors or bottom of walls because heat rises.
I toured model houses -- houses that their builders were showing off in the annual Parade of Homes -- that had half-height fiberglass batts hung in front of the basement walls. Not only did they hide only the top half of the walls, they were spaced far enough away from the wall that they probably had no effect whatsoever. Plenty of room for circulating convective currents between the walls and the batts.

I had two different electricians tell me that a 120V window air conditioner costs twice as much to operate as a 240V of the same BTU.
Well, whaddaya expect? Electricians aren't required to study HVACR or energy conservation.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I toured model houses -- houses that their builders were showing off in the annual Parade of Homes -- that had half-height fiberglass batts hung in front of the basement walls. Not only did they hide only the top half of the walls, they were spaced far enough away from the wall that they probably had no effect whatsoever. Plenty of room for circulating convective currents between the walls and the batts.

Well, whaddaya expect? Electricians aren't required to study HVACR or energy conservation.
That’s basic theory though

kwired

Electron manager
I had to go back to a job about 5 years ago because they had a toaster oven that needed a t slot 20 amp receptacle. It had its own circuit on the counter but we only had 15 amp gfis when we trimmed it out.
I ran into a toaster with 20 amp plug on it, but it was a commercial toaster in a restaurant. It was no throw away unit either as it cost maybe $2500.

4 slice toaster but could make consistent toast all day if it needed to. Their cheap household backup could never keep up with it and might have underdone pieces in one batch and burned pieces in the next.

kwired

Electron manager

They supposed to know Watt's law though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had a couple of coworkers requiring an outlet on a 6" column. They believed when they added up the 4 sides it was 24" of wall space.

Ron
I've heard this one too. I actually wrote a PI about that several code cycles ago asking for language in the code that stated it was not required. I believe the rejection said something like a column is not a wall.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Ha this is all so funny because I just told my girlfriend this over the weekend, she bought a new battery from Costco (didn't want to pay the mechanic's surcharge) and when we got home she went to put it on the concrete floor of the garage, I said "Oh wait, let me put this down first." I then said "it's probably not a real concern anymore but it doesn't hurt to be safe."
Such is the basis for all superstition.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I've heard this one too. I actually wrote a PI about that several code cycles ago asking for language in the code that stated it was not required. I believe the rejection said something like a column is not a wall.
As a matter of fact, I posted the question of an outlet on a column several years ago. You provided me with that information, of which I copied and gave to the AHJ and offending inspectors. They did stop requiring the outlet.
My user name at that time was rcarroll.
Thanks again

Ron

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Such is the basis for all superstition.
Definitely. Pure laziness. Easier to take two seconds to grab a piece of scrap wood than it is to research to fact or fiction. Reality is that I'm not going to take the time to vet out articles for trustworthiness or set up my own experiments to find out if this is true or not considering this was the first time in 20 years it even came up for me.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There was a PI this time to require a column to have a receptacle if the perimeter or circumference exceeded 24". It was rejected at the Task Group level.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Definitely. Pure laziness. Easier to take two seconds to grab a piece of scrap wood than it is to research to fact or fiction. Reality is that I'm not going to take the time to vet out articles for trustworthiness or set up my own experiments to find out if this is true or not considering this was the first time in 20 years it even came up for me.
For many years I was involved in community theatre. To this day I will never toss a hat onto a bed or utter the word "MacBeth" in a theater building. :D