New Klein "J" tools, or new handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

Sand has always worked good when I first breakin a pair of sidecutter's. An oldtimer taught me this one.

The first guy I worked for had a little bottle of diamond dust he worked into the joints of his pliers to break them in, I have no idea where you get that stuff, I would imagine its expensive anyway.

wptski

So far it's the best thing I've found. It sure beats the sand and WD method and anything else I've tried over the years. I just replaced a pair of diags not too long ago, and right out of the package those things are stiff. Put a squirt or two on and opened and closed them a few times...squirted them again and let them sit overnight, and they were as smooth as could be.

An old guy at a small engine place turned me on to it years ago to remove a rusted pulley when my liquid wrench didn't work. After a good helping of Busty and a couple hour soak I pulled the pulley off without so much as a puller.
Tried to purchase that stuff on-line but it won't accept any credit card I used, so I emailed them, no answer yet!

I see later that "they" show Murray's and CarQuest carrying their products. I tried both stores locally. Neither carry any of their line!:rolleyes:

wptski

I bought a 1 1/2oz. tube of Permatex Valve Grinding Compound at AutoZone for $4. Worked the stuff into my tight Klein 9" lineman's pliers for a bit, flushed it out with WD-40 and now they drop open!:grin: It also worked on a pair of needlenose pliers but it's harder to get the stuff into the metal friction areas.

electricalperson

I had a older feller that worked for us years ago, and he had a pair of Chrome plated lineman kleins, anniversery model or something....I always bugged him and tried to buy them from him....Now he is passed away...I wonder where those pliers are?

ideal makes the premium sidecutters. there about 190 dollars a pair and are chrome

JacksonburgFarmer

I like to use either PB Blaster and or WD40....I have another idea....almost hate doing it but it works....BOTH WAYS.....:D

Any tool new, used, whatever....hold in one hand and take a hammer...yes hammer. If you want to loosen, strike side of tool that does not show end of hinge pin. It may take several strikes. To Tighten...strike the side of tool that shows hinge pin with hammer....HINT it takes more to loosen than tighten....you can tighten up tools that seem to "clank" with this method.....it works....I just dont like hammering my new tools....but I usually do in the end.

Right now, my Kleins are going to last a very long time...I have them in a tool box that is in the back of my Jeep...which I have not had out on a regular basis in 9 months. :grin:
I do have a pair of the new Jman type, but I do not think I have twisted any wire with them...at least no yet.
Who knows, with this economy, I may have to go back to the tools. :-?

electricalperson

the teacher in school taught us to use sand and wd40. i broken in a pair of new kleins in 20 minutes with it. makes a big mess. i think the hardest thing to do is use a new pair of linesmens before doing something to loosen them up. it makes life much easier

Mule

as a side note, I just noticed I started this thread back in Nov of last year. I purchased new handles as a result of this thread, and they are still in the packages in the van....:rolleyes: maybe tomorrow?!?!?:D

masterinbama

I was taught to put the nose in a 4' piece of 3/4 galvanized and slam the other end on the slab several times. Always seemed to work well. Also on the subject of new tools. I always ask the new guys this when they come up with their new nines or side cutters,"do they have a pitch on them yet" as I hold them up to the light. If they say no, I pitch them as far as I can. Preferably into some tall grass. I forgot this one while the practical joke thread was going.

Karl H

I was starting to think I was the only guy left ,that still "boiled"
his grips before inserting them on a new pair of side cutters.
I know I'm old, but I will give you a very long and heated debate if I'm
old and crazy.:D

masterinbama

speaking of boiling handles. Do they still make the hard ones with the crosshatched ribs on them. I haven't been able to find them, only the smooth ones.

Going back to putting a "pitch" on tools. Had an apprentice 20 years ago that fell for this 3 different times. He is known around town as the eternal helper. I've got a feeling his train of thought has hauled too many chemicals. But he is a real good helper.

Mule

You can't pull a fish tape with those !!! :smile:

speaking of boiling handles. Do they still make the hard ones with the crosshatched ribs on them. I haven't been able to find them, only the smooth ones.

Going back to putting a "pitch" on tools. Had an apprentice 20 years ago that fell for this 3 different times. He is known around town as the eternal helper. I've got a feeling his train of thought has hauled too many chemicals. But he is a real good helper.

My supplier ordered the hard crosshatched ones YES !

Mule

You don't pull fish tapes with pliers do you? I always use a piece of rope with a loop served in the end. Works a lot better and doesn't bend the tape.

Yea I do....carefully mind you....But in truth, these fish tapes these days are much softer steel and dont last near as long anyway IMO....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yea I do....carefully mind you....But in truth, these fish tapes these days are much softer steel and dont last near as long anyway IMO....
Agreed, but look at the bright side: you can bend a new hook on the end without using a torch. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.