New Klein "J" tools, or new handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOOL_5150

yea they do ive got a pair of j-2000 with a tape puller and im pretty sure they make a pair with crimpers too.
over the last couple years ive switched over to the j-man tools and i really like em. the old style grips feel wierd to me now.

480sparky said:
Standard 'cushion' handles are not voltage rated anyway.
mattsilkwood said:
yea i know but come on tell the gods honest truth. ive used mine on hot work and will again

Ah oh.. :rolleyes:

~Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

peter d

My pliers of choice are the J20009-NE, at least I think that's the part number. I consider them disposable so I replace them when they wear out, unless they succumb to "Klein's Law" first. ;)

bjp_ne_elec

Seeing we're on pliers - what do you guys do to loosen them up. I've got a pair of the J-series Kleins diagonals., and I think they picked up some moisture and got a touch rusted.

Anyone ever use that naval jelly? I know it's good to remove rust - but you can barely see the rust - but it must be enough moisture got in the joint. Looking for an oil one of you might recommend.

Mule

Seeing we're on pliers - what do you guys do to loosen them up. I've got a pair of the J-series Kleins diagonals., and I think they picked up some moisture and got a touch rusted.

Anyone ever use that naval jelly? I know it's good to remove rust - but you can barely see the rust - but it must be enough moisture got in the joint. Looking for an oil one of you might recommend.

I carry WD40 at all times on the van, and use it on a regular basis on my pliers, KO punch bolt and die's, and other tools. My Kleins are the most Klackin'es in the land !! It's thin enough to wash out the fine junk and rust that gets inside Kleins plier joint.....my two cents

TOOL_5150

I carry WD40 at all times on the van, and use it on a regular basis on my pliers, KO punch bolt and die's, and other tools. My Kleins are the most Klackin'es in the land !! It's thin enough to wash out the fine junk and rust that gets inside Kleins plier joint.....my two cents

I usually spray my KO punches with wd-40 or brakleen, wipe them off and then put a little bit of brake grease on the threads to keep them running smooth.

~Matt

Mule

T/B and/or Klein crimpers, I have sharpened the cutter on the end several times. However these pliers are desgned to close against a stop. So if you sharpen them it removes steel thus not closing all the way... you also have to change the point in which the close by filing it as well....They work good for cutting sealtight and greenfield....

Mule

I usually spray my KO punches with wd-40 or brakleen, wipe them off and then put a little bit of brake grease on the threads to keep them running smooth.

~Matt

YEP, try a small amount of No-lox on the threads, and then a very small amount of WD40 on top of the no-lox. When you get a KO cutter or bolt that straining its a amazing combination...I would say at least 50% less work turning the cutter with your wrench....

wptski

What, nobody uses or believes in insulated tools? I mean the test rated ones and not just coated handles on pliers and test rated screw drivers too!

TOOL_5150

YEP, try a small amount of No-lox on the threads, and then a very small amount of WD40 on top of the no-lox. When you get a KO cutter or bolt that straining its a amazing combination...I would say at least 50% less work turning the cutter with your wrench....

Ill give that a try next time, Thanks!

~Matt

Mule

What, nobody uses or believes in insulated tools? I mean the test rated ones and not just coated handles on pliers and test rated screw drivers too!

Very very rarely do I work around medium voltages any more, and IMO standard grips work just fine for me, if they are in good shape....BUT reguardless, I still use my low voltage gloves when working around something live, especially around the larger current values....and I never never work medium or hight voltage hot....thats what they make grounding straps for....Im 50 and Im still here ....:D

TOOL_5150

Not only do I believe in them I use them EVERY time I work hot.. no questions asked. I am just really carefull with them because once the outter layer gets cut, they do not have the 1000v certification any more.

~Matt

Mule

Not only do I believe in them I use them EVERY time I work hot.. no questions asked. I am just really carefull with them because once the outter layer gets cut, they do not have the 1000v certification any more.

~Matt

I agree they are great tools, but I would suggest a second layer of protection. Wear your gloves, if you dont already

Minuteman

Here's what I use.

my_linemans.JPG

Roger

Roger, I see that your nines are arc bit. Happens to us all. ;)

jrannis

Roger, I see that your nines are arc bit. Happens to us all. ;)

My dad always skinned the plastic off of the handles of his Kleins and channelocks.
When he died I found several pair of kleins, all worn out to were the cutters were even with the front gripping part. No holes in any of them.

I personally grind all of the sharp edges from the sides and front of my kleins when I first get them. I have three pair in my tool bag, no burn holes just thought I lost them (misplaced by helper) and found them again.

sgeers

klein hd red handles. and i keep my old pair with the barrel crimp and the replacement handles handy as well. i rarely throw out tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.