“Provide Allowance” on spec sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I was forwarded some architectural drawings and spec sheet for a residential new construction project by a contractor that I do work for periodically.

On the material specifications it goes through each trade and gives information. Some of it seems kinda vague to me. They periodically use the term “Provide Allowance”.

An example is under Electrical Fixtures. It says, “Specialty Fixtures to be selected - Provide Allowance”.

I’m not sure just what this means? Are they saying that I’m supposed to set it up for a fixture that they will be providing? Or does Provide Allowance mean something different?

Thanks

sw_ross

Also, there’s 2 locations in the residence that a BiggAss fan will be located. Can those normally be mounted on a fan rated box?
I know the one’s I’ve seen are pretty large and heavy looking. Maybe they have a residential version of one one you see in commercial?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It may mean provide a line item of $XXX for each luminaire and installation. I would add some other language to cover who purchases, must be UL listed, etc to protect your self, if cost exceeds your allowance

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Providing an allowance means there's an option for the customer to pick out their own fixture or whatever.

For instance, I charge $45-50 for a dimmer upgrade, and I have an allowance of $25.00

They have the option to choose a specific dimmer if they want. If the price is not exactly $25.00 then they will receive either a credit or extra charge.

Same with can trims. I give a $5.00 allowance
If they choose Philips Hue trims at $35-40 each, they're gonna get a bill.

Receptacles and switches have a $1.00 allowance.
If they want decora or something else, it's an upgrade with extra charge

sw_ross

Providing an allowance means there's an option for the customer to pick out their own fixture or whatever.

For instance, I charge $45-50 for a dimmer upgrade, and I have an allowance of $25.00

They have the option to choose a specific dimmer if they want. If the price is not exactly $25.00 then they will receive either a credit or extra charge.

Same with can trims. I give a $5.00 allowance
If they choose Philips Hue trims at $35-40 each, they're gonna get a bill.

Receptacles and switches have a $1.00 allowance.
If they want decora or something else, it's an upgrade with extra charge
Ok. So if the plan shows pendants over the island I should guesstimate my material charge plus labor plus an allowance of $xxx.xx for the fixture? Does that mean I’m buying the fixture? Why can’t it just be a FBO type of setup?
How am I supposed to know what fixtures they want? They’re not listed in the specs.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Ok. So if the plan shows pendants over the island I should guesstimate my material charge plus labor plus an allowance of $xxx.xx for the fixture? Does that mean I’m buying the fixture? Why can’t it just be a FBO type of setup?
How am I supposed to know what fixtures they want? They’re not listed in the specs.
You don't know. Give them a dollar amount for a mid or high end fixture of your choosing. For custom homes back when, it was something the owners took to the bank for loan estimate. They can use your fixture or choose one similarly priced to stay within budget.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It can be FBO if that's how they want to do it. But apparently they want to gauge some kind of total price and the builder doesn't want to figure it.

You don't have to guess what they want, only a typical price they should expect to pay.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You provide a fixture cost and installation allowance, and you need to specify that dollar amount in your proposal.

As for the BAF’s, ask for a spec. They do make a line of residential fans, but they also make industrial fans that are supported by structure. Those may have some sort of separate control box also. I can’t imagine them using the industrial fan in a residential setting but verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sw_ross

Ok. I talked with the contractor this afternoon. He said they’re trying to get a complete number for financing purposes.

I guess it makes sense, but it makes more work for me to figure out a general price for each fixture.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Also, there’s 2 locations in the residence that a BiggAss fan will be located. Can those normally be mounted on a fan rated box?
I know the one’s I’ve seen are pretty large and heavy looking. Maybe they have a residential version of one one you see in commercial?
I just did a luxury garage job where they wanted big fans.
I quoted 10-ft Big Ass fans at about $2,800 each fixture cost. They ended up going with 8-ft Minka Aire for $700 each

They mounted on a regular fan rated box on the bottom of a purlin.

But I saw someone in the next garage used 2 pieces of strut spanning between 2 purlins to mount a fan. I couldn't tell what type of box was used

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Ok. I talked with the contractor this afternoon. He said they’re trying to get a complete number for financing purposes.

I guess it makes sense, but it makes more work for me to figure out a general price for each fixture.
You can probably add $10.00 or $15.00 per fixture opening to cover your extra administrative time. Just don't put it in the fixture allowance

Status
Not open for further replies.