0-10 Volt Dimmer/LED Driver Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know this is a stupid question but I don?t have much experience with 0-10 volt dimmers.

I have an architect that sent me a spec sheet for a single 1? x 4? Cooper LED fixture. The spec sheet specifies a 0-10 volt Dimming LED driver. This fixture is going to be installed at an outlet that is switched with other fluorescent fixtures. I told that architect that we don?t have any wiring provisions for this fixture to be connected to a dimmer. He responded that a dimmer is not necessary for this fixture but the standard driver is 0-10 volts.

My question is what needs to be done if I want this fixture to operate at full brightness without using a dimmer? I know there are different types of 0-10 volt dimming. Some designs would need a separate low voltage power source to the driver for the driver to operate at all. You would need 10 volts for the driver to operate a full brightness. The wiring diagrams for newer drivers show that they can be connected directly to the dimmer without any additional power source. I?m just not sure what needs to be done if no dimmer is used.

Thanks in advance!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would check with the driver manufacturer. It's likely that just applying line voltage without any control will allow the driver to operate at 100% without any dimming.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for the replies. When the business owner found out the cost and lead time for the build to order Cooper LED fixture he asked "why are we doing this for a hallway?". I told him its is what the architect wanted. He responded that he didn't care what the fixture looked like as long as it provided enough light for the area. I should him a picture on my phone of a Lithonia LB232 and he said that works for him. That made my life easier and saved him $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.