1-Ph feed for AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can I use a 208V, 3-ph power supply to feed a 1-ph 230V AC unit? this is the European style one hot and one neutral AC unit.
Do you have a manual? Does it say you can do this? presumably you want to power it from two of the 208 V lines.

I agree with the poster that suggested checking with the manufacturer.

Personally, I would just get a buck boost transformer and make 240 V single phase from two of the 208 V lines. It will only cost you a few hundred dollars.

Incidentally, it seems unlikely it is expecting one hot and one neutral if it is rated for 60 Hz since that would be really unusual here. Generally, Europe uses 3 phase 400 V 4 wire, with 230 V to N. You would have to get an isolation transformer and ground one side of the secondary to get 240 V single phase with a N here.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can I use a 208V, 3-ph power supply to feed a 1-ph 230V AC unit? this is the European style one hot and one neutral AC unit.
If it were made in the US with US motors 10HP and under, the motor would most likely be rated for use at 208 or 230V. But IEC motors are marginal to begin with (i.e. no Service Factor), so running an IEC 230V motor at 208V would likely result in premature failure. I would get the buck-boost transformer as Bob suggested.

The L to N is irrelevant, the motor only cares that it gets 230V, so 230V L to L is fine. No need to make it a "neutral".

Status
Not open for further replies.