10-2, 8-2, and 6-2 NM Cable with black/red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

Do they make 10-2, 8-2, and 6-2 NM cable with black and red conductors, rather than black and white? This would actually make a lot more sense if they did, since there are no 120V loads above 20A, thus they wouldn't need a neutral wire. In fact, I don't know why they even make 30A single-pole breakers. With that being said, are we still required to re-identify the white wire as a hot when using 10-2 and larger NM cables? I always do with 14-2 and 12-2, but never with 10 or larger.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do they make 10-2, 8-2, and 6-2 NM cable with black and red conductors, rather than black and white? This would actually make a lot more sense if they did, since there are no 120V loads above 20A, thus they wouldn't need a neutral wire.
I believe it's available in Canada (I call it "DC Romex") and can be special-ordered here. Many 240v loads above 20a DO require a neutral. In a residence, the water heater and the HVAC are just about the only 240v-only loads.

In fact, I don't know why they even make 30A single-pole breakers. With that being said, are we still required to re-identify the white wire as a hot when using 10-2 and larger NM cables? I always do with 14-2 and 12-2, but never with 10 or larger.
A 30a 1P breaker might be needed to start a large 120v motor. Yes, any white wire that is not grounded is supposed to be re-identified, regardless of gauge.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You always have to re-identify the white wire when it is a hot conductor. Yes, Canada in Canada you can get all sizes of nm cable with Black, Red and ground. Not available here--

MAC702

It's a good question. If the law doesn't require it, they aren't going to tool up to do it differently. And not as long as we're buying it and carrying Sharpies in our pockets. While there ARE 30A+ 120V applications, it's still a fact that 2-conductor cables with #10 and up are almost always being used on a 240V load.

Many 240v loads above 20a DO require a neutral. ....

In which case, it's a 3-conductor cable.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I get red/black two conductor 10 gauge cable from a supplier here in NC, but I use it for DC.
I believe a change in the 2017 will allow it to be used for your application if the manufacturer marks it with an additional “JP” for joist pull. Like “TC-ER-JP”

Status
Not open for further replies.