10 Amp branch circuits would you use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
10 Amp breakers are the mainstay in countries that run on 230 or 240 volt for household utilization.
Since these countries are wired using RING MAIN Circuit format it is economical in terms of wire size and also branch circuits draw less Amps at a given energy spent because of higher voltage.

P=E x I

You won’t find 15 Amp breakers in their home improvement centers. I know I bought one 10 Amp CB when I was in Melbourne, Australia about 8 years ago. Just for curiosity’s kicks. lol
The next bigger size breakers are 32 Amps.

They use these sizes where a SPUR is included in their wiring scheme. A SPUR is a radial circuit that is added to an existing 32 Amp branch circuit.
This is the why most European appliances have built-in 10 Amp fuses in their plugs.

As for aluminum conductors-- it has never been a practice since the 70s to use for house wiring that are smaller than No. 8 AWG.

Even in this size, they are popular mostly for grounding or bonding.

Aluminum wires don’t maintain their cross-section [diameter] especially in smaller gauges --especially when you bend them repeatedly.

Some [old] homes about 5 miles from me are wired this way.

If you have encountered any of this wiring, I suggest not to even open the enclosure and you will never get them safely enough [not] to compromise them –they loosen at the terminals when you disturb them.
Aluminum wires for homes were introduced to keep cost of homes affordable after WWII for the returning GIs.

It only lasted three years when electricians experienced problems with them.

Building transformers and some coils for [specia] motor builders are where you will find their use.
They are used in high tension lines also but they are steel reinforced. (ACSR). . . also popular for triplex.
Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced.

My Underground Service Lateral is # 3/0 Aluminum--direct burial.

The truth about Aluminum Copper-Clad Wires:

kwired

Electron manager
10 Amp breakers are the mainstay in countries that run on 230 or 240 volt for household utilization.
Since these countries are wired using RING MAIN Circuit format it is economical in terms of wire size and also branch circuits draw less Amps at a given energy spent because of higher voltage.

P=E x I

You won’t find 15 Amp breakers in their home improvement centers. I know I bought one 10 Amp CB when I was in Melbourne, Australia about 8 years ago. Just for curiosity’s kicks. lol
The next bigger size breakers are 32 Amps.

They use these sizes where a SPUR is included in their wiring scheme. A SPUR is a radial circuit that is added to an existing 32 Amp branch circuit.
This is the why most European appliances have built-in 10 Amp fuses in their plugs.

As for aluminum conductors-- it has never been a practice since the 70s to use for house wiring that are smaller than No. 8 AWG.

Even in this size, they are popular mostly for grounding or bonding.

Aluminum wires don’t maintain their cross-section [diameter] especially in smaller gauges --especially when you bend them repeatedly.

Some [old] homes about 5 miles from me are wired this way.

If you have encountered any of this wiring, I suggest not to even open the enclosure and you will never get them safely enough [not] to compromise them –they loosen at the terminals when you disturb them.
Aluminum wires for homes were introduced to keep cost of homes affordable after WWII for the returning GIs.

It only lasted three years when electricians experienced problems with them.

Building transformers and some coils for [specia] motor builders are where you will find their use.
They are used in high tension lines also but they are steel reinforced. (ACSR). . . also popular for triplex.
Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced.

My Underground Service Lateral is # 3/0 Aluminum--direct burial.

The truth about Aluminum Copper-Clad Wires:

I could be wrong but thought for those foreign 240 volt systems 16 amp was also a standard overcurrent device though maybe not too common to see.

You sure about aluminum being there shortly after WWII?

That would be when they were electrifying the rural areas with the REA. I run into old installs from that period all the time and they are always copper conductors. Most the aluminum NM cable I ever come across was almost always in mobile and manufactured homes from the 60's and earlier 70's.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I could be wrong but thought for those foreign 240 volt systems 16 amp was also a standard overcurrent device though maybe not too common to see.

You sure about aluminum being there shortly after WWII?

That would be when they were electrifying the rural areas with the REA. I run into old installs from that period all the time and they are always copper conductors. Most the aluminum NM cable I ever come across was almost always in mobile and manufactured homes from the 60's and earlier 70's.

16 and 20 amps is very common in Mainland Europe. The UK tends to use 32 amp breakers with ring mains, 6 amp for lighting. 10 amp radials are common in some parts of the world like South America.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Interesting, well seems like none of us will be in a hurry to use a 10A branch circuit.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yep.

While I could see an occasional need for lower than 15a OCP for a specific load, I wouldn't stock another wire size for it.
Thats a really good point, if you ran into a conduit fill / de-rating issue, you could derate 14 to 10Amps in the 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.