#10 awg ground tails

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeHon

We are installing 50 amp devices. I believe my #10 EGC has to extend to the device, but does my pig tail also have to be #10? 250-122 leads me to believe that it does, but I am having trouble locating this product at a supply house which leads me to believe I may be missing something? Thanks for your help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why not just make them with a ground screw and piece of # 10?

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are using So cord then generally the equipment grounding conductor is the same size as the other conductors. 250-122 does allow a #10 to be used as the equipment grounding conductor but as I stated I don't think you will find a #8 So xx cord with a #10 equipment grounding conductor.

JoeHon

Please allow me to clarify a little more. This is a data center enviroment, we are using 8/3 w/ ground cora clad and running to a metal box with a 2 wire 50A device that computer equipment plugs into. The 8/3 has a #8 ground which is oversized since we are using a 50 amp overcurrent protection device. I believe the code (250-122) requires me to run at least #10 to the device, my primary concern is the pig tail to the box and the sizing requirements. I believe it falls under 250-122 as well??

Roger- Thank you I believe that may be what we have to do. And thanks to everyone for your feedback, this seems to be a great forum.

Joe

eHunter

Please allow me to clarify a little more. This is a data center enviroment, we are using 8/3 w/ ground cora clad and running to a metal box with a 2 wire 50A device that computer equipment plugs into. The 8/3 has a #8 ground which is oversized since we are using a 50 amp overcurrent protection device. I believe the code (250-122) requires me to run at least #10 to the device, my primary concern is the pig tail to the box and the sizing requirements. I believe it falls under 250-122 as well??

Roger- Thank you I believe that may be what we have to do. And thanks to everyone for your feedback, this seems to be a great forum.

Joe

Take a look at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Groun...6-inch-Stranded-Wire-/150557311514#vi-content

kwired

Electron manager
Wouldn't that be dependent on the type of box?
beyond the box being metallic (which I mentioned) what else did you have in mind?

The device must have its mounting yoke/strap be metallic and connected to equipment grounding conductor terminal of receptacle devices also, but I don't think you will find any that are not.

Flush devices that do not make metal to metal contact must have a bonding jumper, but that is covered in what I said before.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Flush devices that do not make metal to metal contact must have a bonding jumper, but that is covered in what I said before.

I was thinking of flush devices that do make metal to metal contact with the yoke or an old work (gem) box.

Status
Not open for further replies.