10 minute presentation, any topic ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreamlineGT

I have a 10 minute presentation coming up, and I have already done 4 presentations to the same group in regards to myself. Prior topics included my job experience and education, RadioRA, picture presentation of jobs done, and how to save on electricity costs. What in the world can I talk about next? Any suggestions?

StreamlineGT

OOH OOH, I actually thought of one while sitting here. I could go over the list of things to consider when building/remodeling. If only I can find the list someone posted. Little help?

celtic

...pick me Mr. Kotter

Horshack.jpg

:grin:

cadpoint

I have a 10 minute presentation coming up, and I have already done 4 presentations to the same group in regards to myself. Prior topics included my job experience and education, RadioRA, picture presentation of jobs done, and how to save on electricity costs. What in the world can I talk about next? Any suggestions?

You could state your favorite web links, NFPA : Present a safety overview and ask when each did a survey / review of their companies! ? Or their home office!

Fire Aspects / Building Safety ... Layouts / Study's - Insurance related or demained. Were all to have an Emergency plan, HMMMM

Do they know their Building Class to Insurance ? Statement , Etc
(I'll Bet alot won't) IE.. Renters and equipment insurances

Anything building related ... throw out some numbers
Does there building have chemicals, Etc...
When and how often do they service their equipment.(the building services.)

Gather and throw our some waste numbers, like a bulb verses a CFL... etc,etc,...
IE get a timer for Furance and H20 ...

The dereaded multi-plug-in verses more receptacle circuits ...

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bradleyelectric

How about smoke detectors. Different basic residential types, how often they should be replaced, battery maintenance. Explain how they interlock, best placement. New radio interlock units. Let them know they can contact you for additional residential information to survey the system at their business emergency and exit systems.

ohm

How about carry in a handful of devices affected by the 2008 Code and talk a minute about each. AFCI breakers, TR receptacles, WR/TR GFCI receptacles, Intersystem ground bus. Then the group can expect their electrical costs to go up before they ask you to do a job.

Ken9876

Okie-dokie.

Say, Ken? What do you really think of those classes?

To be honest, I was very discourged. I live in NJ and had just got my license, I didn't have to take the class but I did, just to keep learning. It was a complete joke and the others I have had to take since then have been as well. I understand your question was more of rhetorical. Sorry I'm just mad that the state did this, something that I thought would be good and better the industry, but failed completly.

GT, I just gave a 10 minute presentation to my BNI group.

I brought in toys: 1 1/4" bender, and bent some pipe... brought it to an old FPE panel... and went from there.
Everyone was enthralled. FPE gets everyone's attention... especially if you have a nasty old FPE panel... with some burn marks.

I walked out of there with 3 referrals, and had 4 testimonials of people who are also experts: My insurance agent, the residential real-estate guy, 2 of our members who have FPE panels, (1 has burn marks in it too...)

I also asked my group what they wanted me to talk about. Several were concerned about office safety and electricity... so I brought in a "surge supressor" that was fried, and the outlet it was attached to... that got lots of attention as well... fried components work wonders!

StreamlineGT

That's a pretty good idea. I will start saving those types of things now.

I am giving my presentation today, so certainly not enough time to collect those things, but I am going to speak on some jobs that I am doing now, and how I am going above and beyond the call of duty to please my customers. I brought some prints for proposals I have made, and some things to consider when building/remodeling a home. All this to upsell things that people don't normally think about when planning.

bobbyho

GT how about surge protection. I also did a 10 minute presentation on solar energy. Send me a pm if you want, I can set you up with some info. I live on the other side of the river so I can also get it to you easy if need be.

bobbyho

You can also step outside the box and do something on sales or what the difference between someone who brings their service to you vs. going to a place for service. You can do one on pimping out your truck too. Make it fun and something you know about. As far as I am concerned, nothing is more fun than public speaking.

JES2727

I once brought in all my toys : meters, megger, amprobe, tic tracer, rotation tester, IR thermometer, gave a brief description and showed how they operate. My intention was to show that we're not just " installers" or "romex wranglers".
I once brought in a bunch of pictures of code violations : light fixtures in clothes closets, working clearance violations, no bubble covers, etc. Stuff that people see everyday and don't realize they're looking at a violation.
Another time I spent the entire time talking about Tesla, because not enough people know about him and that's just wrong.
Then my membership expired and I was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.