100 A Sub-panel feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oliver100

Except 3 #2 THHN wires and a ground in a conduit what cable is available to run it like ROMEX? Copper conductors are preferable.

What are the best IC cans do you know in terms of light distribution (wide angle)?

Thanks

mdshunk

Re: 100 A Sub-panel feeder?

I can't help but to wonder if a PE really needs to ask.

SER gets my vote anyhow. Most manufacturers make cans that are parametrically equivalent to similar models of another manufacturer's line. Progress generally gets my vote there. The installed lamp and installed height often make more of a difference than the can itself.

growler

This doesn't give much information on the sub panel you are installing. What type of location and all that. I suggest you read article 338.10 and that will refer you back to article 334 parts 1 & 2. Always check uses permitted and not permitted. As far a can lights I find the lamp makes the big difference & the baffle & trim.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by mdshunk: I can't help but to wonder if a PE really needs to ask.
The following words and phrases do not appear on the PE exam, and are not included in any college class work: #2 THHN, conduit, cable, ROMEX, and IC cans. That is why a PE might need to ask.

Charles E. Beck, P.E.

growler

I would like to make a statement in defense of a fellow electrician and his comments. A little constructive criticism. There is apparently another word not on the PE exam or required class work, " humility". Most engineers that an EC works with are so pretentious about overall knowledge that it's hard for anyone to believe that they don't know everything. Many engineers can be the biggest of prigs. There has always been a dividing line between engineers ( professionals ) and electricians ( tradesmen ). This is a holdover from the old class system. The man that pulls on a rope can't be part of the upper class ( it has something to do with manual labor being beneath the dignity of the gentle class). If you don't want people to think that you know everything , the first step is to stop acting like you do. I have noticed that many of the engineers on this forum behave with a great deal of decorum and I am not criticizing them. I worked for about four years with a group of young EE's and most would never admit to a mistake or accept any advice from they lower classes. I thought I was dealing with the scare crow and his superior brain. I found many areas where their training was sadly lacking. This is just one person's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.