100 amp main circuit breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend whose mother-in-law's main breaker burned up, due to a loose connection. We had PG&E come pull the meter so I could replace the bad breaker. There was only minor damage to the buss bar, I pulled all the breakers out of the panel and cleaned the bars of any carbon deposits. I replaced the damaged breaker (GE, I believe) with a similar breaker (Homeline), which was the only suitable replacement I could find in our town without buying a full load center. PG&E came out to replace the meter, then pulled it back out. A customer service rep called my friend (who owns the house) to tell him that "according to the notes" she has, that I used the "wrong breaker." That was all the detail she could give us. Any idea what they're looking for here?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yep That would be a problem. Unless the Homline breaker was a listed breaker then you cannot use it.

The same goes for all panels.
This is one of my pet peves that I always get strange looks at.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you sure a homeline breaker is approved for GE? If it is then they are probably not realizing that the breaker is approved for that brand. You may need to call the poco.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The Homeline circuit breakers are UL listed.
But they must be UL listed for use in a GE panel, which may or may not be true. Just because it plugs in does not mean you can use it, despite what the home centers tell you. I see nothing in the Homeline catalog that indicates they are listed to be used in anything but a Homeline panel. You could call Sq. D and ask them for a document sating they are UL listed in a GE panel, but I doubt you will get it.

zgozvrm, I see in your profile you are an industrial electrician so it's understandable that you don't run across this sort of thing when you don't work residential refurbs, but it's a very common issue for those who do. I also see you are in Northern CA. Call Pacific Coast Breakers in Sacramento, they will have the GE breaker you need on the shelf and you can have it tomorrow. 800-755-8098

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As far as Schneider Electric is concerned a Homeline breaker is not approved for any panel other than a Square D brand one.

Status
Not open for further replies.