100 Amp main on 200 amp panel-Homeline and SQD

Andy1099

I need to install a main breaker on 2 different jobs to meet NEC 705 requirements. One is a Homeline the other QO. Here is my question: Though the loads on both panels is small, the panels are rated for 200 amp. Will a 125 amp and 100 amp respectively main breaker fit in a 200 amp panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can change the mains out or install either as a back-fed breaker with a retaining clip.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You can't answer this question without looking at the panels themselves and their labels, to see the type of main breakers they will accept. Then you could google to see if 100A and 125A are available in that type.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The standard main breaker for "modern" 200 & 225 amp Square D load centers is the QOM2. It is available in 100, 125, 150, 175, 200 & 225 amps.

kwired

Electron manager
For square D panels it would have to be the latter as the 100 and 125 amp is a smaller frame - unless they make some sort of kit but I doubt it, never seen or heard of such a thing for a sqD load center.
As Curt mentioned the larger frame size has 100 and 125 amp breakers available. Finding one is possibly another story.

kwired

Electron manager
Okay good to know, I stand corrected. I don't think those are ever supplied with a new 100 or 125 amp main breaker panel board, they use that smaller sized one, that's why I've never seen one.
For the smaller frame size they make 60 amp breakers and maybe a couple others like 50,70,80,90 but IIRC they don't make every standard size either. You won't purchase a loadcenter with any of these factory installed but are an option to either swap or add to a main lug panel that accepts the smaller frame size.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Curt mentioned the larger frame size has 100 and 125 amp breakers available. Finding one is possibly another story.
Might not be too bad. Just checked and my supplier has (17) QOM2100VH and (14) QOM2125 in stock.

The 125 amp loadcenters us the QOM (no 2) breakers.

kwired

Electron manager
Might not be too bad. Just checked and my supplier has (17) QOM2100VH and (14) QOM2125 in stock.

The 125 amp loadcenters us the QOM (no 2) breakers.
You never know lately what is going to be hard to get.

I finally received four QBL22125 circuit breakers about 2 weeks ago that have been on order from factory since April. In past you never would have to wait for this item more than a week at most, but usually not even that long.