100 Amp Panel Breaker Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrwd

I just had an inspector tell me that the maximum number of breakers that a 100 amp panel can have is 12. Could this be remotely true?

bphgravity

Re: 100 Amp Panel Breaker Capacity

Could the inspector be remarking on one particular panel that specifies a maximum of 12 overcurrent devices by the manufacturer and not a general statement of all 100-ampere panelboards?

leggo

I was curious to the answer because I was wondering if a 100 amp panel has 20 openings and all of them are full in a residential panel, how many twin breakers can be installed without having problems due to heat.

bphgravity

Originally posted by leggo:
...how many twin breakers can be installed without having problems due to heat.
As many that are permitted by the design and specifications of the panelboard. Not all panelboards allow the use of tandem breakers.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

UL listings take charge,A 40/40 no tandems allowed a 40/42 limits you as per NEC to 42 circuits

jes25

The problem is that I hardly ever see on the panel board how many tandems can go in, Where is the best spot to look

bphgravity

Originally posted by jes25:
The problem is that I hardly ever see on the panel board how many tandems can go in, Where is the best spot to look
Look at the slots on the panelboard busbars. A panelboard that allows tandems will have a different configuration at the locations the tandems are permited. A compliant tandem breaker will not fit into a slot not permited for tandems, however their are non-compliant breakers on the market that will fit in a non-tandem spot.

Panelboard manufacturers are required to make class CTL current limiting panelboards to not exceed 42 devices, breaker manufacturerers are not. :)

jes25

So basically if I have an ITE panel for example and an ITE tandem if it fits I should assume it is compliant and OK of course none over 42

william runkle

This might be the reason the inspector said 12 spaces for a 100 amp panel, possible the panel in questioned is 12 spaced and listed not to have more than 12 breakers single poles.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Look at a panel buss bars, homeline for example,They make a 40/40 and a 40/42 panel.
The 40/42 has step buss bars and the 40/40 is squared off.Hense the tandems won`t fit unless you remove the metal tab on the tandem breaker
and that would be a violation.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I just had an inspector tell me that the maximum number of breakers that a 100 amp panel can have is 12. Could this be remotely true?
In general, most of the main breaker panels sold have configurations of 20 circuit/100 amp, 30 circuit/150 amp and 40 circuit/200 amp. (I believe the 100 amp panels are available in smaller configurations). If you are using panelboards (bolt-in breakers) they are available in up to 42 circuits.

Sq D also makes a 200 amp main breaker, 30 slot - 40 circuit panel which they consider a "remodel" breaker panel. If you look at the buss bar, the bottom five breaker positions on each side are stepped (as awayne mentioned) making it acceptable to install tandem breakers in those positions and giving you the possibility for 40 s/p circuits. In addition, if you look at the breaker directory on the panel cover it displays the top 30 breaker positions with plain white rectangular slots in which to write in an identification. The bottom 10 slots have a dashed line through the center of the rectangular box for an "a" and "b" identification.

In a recent kitchen remodel job I added a wall oven and 2 counter receptacle circuits. The homeowner had an older 100 amp Sq D QO panel with several tandem breakers already installed. There was enough room to install the breakers I needed to but when the inspector looked at the panel he red tagged it and required me to either prove that the panel was designed to accept tandem breakers or install a sub-panel (his tip-off was the directory on the panel door). I installed the sub-panel even though the original panel (mechanically) accepted the tandem breakers. So not all buss bars are stepped.

the tandems won't fit unless you remove the metal tab on the tandem breaker
:( Awayne, be careful what you post here. Not all of us on the list are licensed electricians whose livelihood depends on "doing things right" and "doing right things".

Regards,

Phil

[ May 14, 2004, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

ja812

Just so you'll know Murray now makes a 100 amp 20-40 circuit load center. (LC2040MB1100) To get a copper buss add CU at the end of the cat #.

amptech

ITE makes a main breaker 100A panel with 30 full size spaces. Square D makes a 32 circuit 100A main breaker panel. In my opinion, a 100A main breaker panel can have as many circuit capacity that it has been listed and labeled for by a NRTL.

bphgravity

Space and load capacity aren't always the same. One could install several smaller circuits and require more space, while another installs larger circuits needing less space. In either case the loads are the same.

I've had a few custom builders that specified only two receptacle outlets per circuit in a couple of the rooms. This meant one room could have up to 4 branch circuits alone. However, as far as the service is concerned, the load applied wouldn't be any different had the 4 circuits only been one. :)

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Phil I also posted that would be a violation.D.I.Y are out there just go to the big orange and look in the electrical aisle,buying pipe wire and asking how do I install this to a pimpled faced kid that just got out of H.S.This is a site for electricians not homeowners.We have paid our dues and have learned from the trade not some book we bought at a home improvement store.We here still learn everyday we go to WORK
at least I do,I don`t know it all but I know allot and am still learning as I go about my daily routine.That`s why we have jouneymen cards and masters licences.Not a deed to a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.