100 amp shore power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos Pelaez

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
are you looking for 1, 2 or 3 pole feed? does the load REQUIRE 100 amps? at least one manufacturer (and I imagine many others) make a GFCI breaker up to 60 amps (https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...kers/Eaton/CH260GFT/product.aspx?zpid=0180547) while I realize this will not provide a 100 amp service, is it possible that 60 amps might be enough for the loads involved?
I asked the customer. He says that it has a demand close to 100a. Maybe 90? He was not sure. And this is a 120/240v single phase.

oldsparky52

If you have a pedestal out there now that has 2 50-amp receptacles on it and is fed with one 100-amp feeder, then I would suggest replacing that pedestal with one that has the existing receptacles and a 100-amp receptacle also. You either use the 100-amp or the 2 50-amp so the load calculations should remain the same. Just swap out the pedestal.

Carlos Pelaez

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you contact the manufacturer of the power pedestals that are on the dock, they may have a solution for you. How is this marina dealing with the GFP now?
This is a new Pedestal to be installed. And I contacted a sales guy for the pedestal, and he said that electrical suppliers do sell 100amp GFCI breakers. I had to hang up. LOL

Carlos Pelaez

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just poking around, you may need to use a 100a shunt-trip breaker and a GFP module, Schneider makes something like that but I didn't look too closely at the data sheet. Might have to use a 3-pole breaker for this to match the module.
I found this one. It is rated for a continuos 100amp load through the sensor. It has a minimum trip sensitivity of 30mA. It will be it with a Trip shunt breaker. This is perfect.
Eaton - Cutler Hammer D64RP18

Carlos Pelaez

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now, from the subpanel to the new pedestal, the raceway will be 130' aprox. I guess I am going to have to install the sensor closer to the pedestal. If I install it that far, it could have some capacitance leakage and make it fail. I should install a 4x panel right by the seawall with the shunt trip breaker and the sensor there.

Status
Not open for further replies.