1000 V INSULATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a colleague that insists we can no longer use 600v insulation on new construction on LV installations because of information from a code update class. I can not find this requirement in the code, can someone please clarify this for me? Thank you in advance.

Dale001289

I have a colleague that insists we can no longer use 600v insulation on new construction on LV installations because of information from a code update class. I can not find this requirement in the code, can someone please clarify this for me? Thank you in advance.

This would be bad news for: Okonite, Southwire, Anixter, Belden etc
Basically NEC divides equipment/cable requirements into two categories: 1000V or less and over 1000V. Maybe this is where he's confused?
We have thousands of feet of 600V insulated cable, TC-ER, XHHW-2 on this (new) construction site.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perhaps you can find your answer in 110.4. As long as the voltage rating of an item (in this case, wire rated at 600 V) exceeds the voltage of the circuit into which it will be installed (in this case, anywhere from 120 to 480 V), you satisfy the code requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.