1000-watt appliance requires 6 AWG?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Rental property maintenance
If I'm reading NEC correctly, my mere 1000-watt mini splits will require whopping 6 AWG wire, for the legs from the attic junction boxes through the exterior conduit to the panel.

MCA (Minimum Circuit Ampacity) per condenser nameplate: 20A

Wire Ampacity (Table 310.16) for THWN/THWN-2:

12 AWG: 25 / 30A
10 AWG: 35 / 40A
8 AWG: 50 / 55A

Three 115V units, two 230V units = 12 conductors, 15 wires. Table 310.15(C)(1) says wire capacity is reduced by 50% for 10-20 conductors in raceway. So after adjustment for number of conductors:

12 AWG: 12.5 / 15A
10 AWG: 17.5 / 20A
8 AWG: 25 / 27.5A

Only about 2' of the wire will be in the a attic, but I don't see any exception in NEC for that, my reading is that if *any* portion of the wire is in the hot environment, I have to reduce the wire ampacity. So as per Table 310.15(B)(1)(1) at 134°F (Texas attic), reduce THHN by 0.58 factor, THWN-2 by 0.71 factor.

12 AWG: 7.250 / 10.65A
10 AWG: 10.15 / 14.2A
8 AWG: 14.50 / 19.53A

If that's true even 8 AWG doesn't get me up to 20A wire ampacity, unless I'm missing something. Am I missing something?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.