1000V splicing and tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

Has anyone found a product family that works for 1000V splicing and tapping? Other than PV connectors like Sunclix, amphenol, and multicontact, which are overkill for use inside an enclosure.

I've attempted to use this particular product family, but in contrast to the datasheet, the product is actually marked 600V. Very difficult to get TE Connectivity to understand this bait-and-switch, and produce an explanation.
http://www.te.com/commerce/Document...0pdfEnglishENG_DS_E154_1410.pdf566427-000

I have a feeling this is a running theme among similar products.

interesting question. I have not yet had to make a >600V splice with anything other than MC4's. The jump from 600V to 1000 has been a bit inconsistent for sure. What about just using rubber splicing tape? 3M 23 states: "Primary electrical insulation for splicing cable from 600V to 69 kV on all solid dielectric cables"

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Has anyone found a product family that works for 1000V splicing and tapping? Other than PV connectors like Sunclix, amphenol, and multicontact, which are overkill for use inside an enclosure.

I've attempted to use this particular product family, but in contrast to the datasheet, the product is actually marked 600V. Very difficult to get TE Connectivity to understand this bait-and-switch, and produce an explanation.
http://www.te.com/commerce/Document...0pdfEnglishENG_DS_E154_1410.pdf566427-000

I have a feeling this is a running theme among similar products.

Just becasue the product is only marked 600V does not mean it is also not rated for 1000V. I don't think electrical tape is marked at all.

Carultch

Just becasue the product is only marked 600V does not mean it is also not rated for 1000V. I don't think electrical tape is marked at all.

I know there are safety factors beyond how a product is rated, but that is not the point. Most of the time, these aren't disclosed to you anyway, so you wouldn't know objectively how much you could expect it to perform above its marked rating.

The point is, what voltage do the manufacturer, the testing agency, the NEC, and the AHJ all consider the product to be rated to withstand? The datasheet is what you see first when picking out a product, and the product markings are what any inspector will see when approving the installation. These values should not contradict one another.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I know there are safety factors beyond how a product is rated, but that is not the point. Most of the time, these aren't disclosed to you anyway, so you wouldn't know objectively how much you could expect it to perform above its marked rating.

The point is, what voltage do the manufacturer, the testing agency, the NEC, and the AHJ all consider the product to be rated to withstand? The datasheet is what you see first when picking out a product, and the product markings are what any inspector will see when approving the installation. These values should not contradict one another.

I don't see the lack of a marking on a product as being a contradiction. UL does not require all markings to be on the product itself. It is often allowed to be on the box it came in or in an instruction sheet. I don't see how an inspector would fail you for a product that is properly marked according to UL standards. They might want to see some evidence of your assertion as to what the product standard actually is, but you would already know that and be able to provide it without a lot of trouble.

You also need to understand that some of the ratings only apply under certain conditions. We all understand that 90 Deg C wire can only be used at its NEC ampacity if there are 90 Deg C terminations. But it does not say that anywhere on the wire. Just says 90 deg C.

I go back to electrical tape. What marking on the tape tells you what voltage it is rated for? I am not even sure it is marked on the roll or the package it comes in.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't see the lack of a marking on a product as being a contradiction. UL does not require all markings to be on the product itself. It is often allowed to be on the box it came in or in an instruction sheet. I don't see how an inspector would fail you for a product that is properly marked according to UL standards. They might want to see some evidence of your assertion as to what the product standard actually is, but you would already know that and be able to provide it without a lot of trouble.

You also need to understand that some of the ratings only apply under certain conditions. We all understand that 90 Deg C wire can only be used at its NEC ampacity if there are 90 Deg C terminations. But it does not say that anywhere on the wire. Just says 90 deg C.

I go back to electrical tape. What marking on the tape tells you what voltage it is rated for? I am not even sure it is marked on the roll or the package it comes in.
It seems to me that the most that could be specified is the voltage per layer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Carultch

You also need to understand that some of the ratings only apply under certain conditions.

On a similar note, I've been trying to find an equivalent of THWN-2 or XHHW-2 wire that can be used in 1kV applications, and it is just as challenging. The only unambiguous solution that I know of, is 1kV/2kV PV wire, which has significantly more insulation than necessary for general use inside a conduit, thus increasing conduit size and labor of install. The reason is that the PV wire family is rated for exposed outdoor use and direct burial, unlike general building wire.

This wire product line looks promising, as it states "UL 10269: 1000 Volts, THHW", but the same product page also states "Voltage Rating: 600V". So which matters when? I've seen this product as part of 1000V lightning arresters, but is it also wire you can field-install?
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=mtw-wire

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
On a similar note, I've been trying to find an equivalent of THWN-2 or XHHW-2 wire that can be used in 1kV applications, and it is just as challenging. The only unambiguous solution that I know of, is 1kV/2kV PV wire, which has significantly more insulation than necessary for general use inside a conduit, thus increasing conduit size and labor of install. The reason is that the PV wire family is rated for exposed outdoor use and direct burial, unlike general building wire.

This wire product line looks promising, as it states "UL 10269: 1000 Volts, THHW", but the same product page also states "Voltage Rating: 600V". So which matters when? I've seen this product as part of 1000V lightning arresters, but is it also wire you can field-install?
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=mtw-wire
Take a look at this one: https://www.encorewire.com/wp-content/uploads/EncoreWire-XHHW-SSE.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.