100a contactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Is it acceptable to install a contactor inside a wire trough with other conductors? Im not speaking of service gutter. There is a separate trough inside building used as raceway for other wiring. The trough happened to sit just above of where I need to instal the contactor.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is an article 376 Metal Wireway application?
The definition of wireway says its for housing and protecting electrical wires and cable, If I was wearing an inspector hat, I would say no.
Is it possible to install a NEMA enclosure with a backpanel for your contactor?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you were to ask me whether it's okay to run wires through an enclosure that contains a contactor, I'd say,"Sure."

So, sure.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
But the wire way is not an enclosure. In Article 312, Cabinets, cutout boxes and meter socket enclosures, there is no definition of cabinet, or cutout boxm none in Art 100. I just point this out as once you know what it is then you know what rules apply. The Art 100 definition of Enclosure is something else.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is it acceptable to install a contactor inside a wire trough with other conductors? Im not speaking of service gutter. There is a separate trough inside building used as raceway for other wiring.
If you were to ask me whether it's okay to run wires through an enclosure that contains a contactor, I'd say,"Sure."

It comes down to which came first, the trough or the contactor. You aren't running wires through an enclosure for a contactor, you are putting a contactor in a raceway that already has wires.

I'm with Tom on this one.

-Hal

paulengr

Does the trough meet the dimensions, thickness, etc., of an enclosure?

I really don’t even like splices in troughs. I’ve had to clean up the damage when it wipes out most of the control wiring more than once. A contactor subject to welding and melting itself (type 1 protection) seems like a terrible idea. You can just as easily add nipples or tray and put the contactor in a proper enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.