10Base2 (RG58) in 3/4" conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc

i am replacing an industrial computer system in a manufacturing facility, and will be using the existing conduits to run a new 10Base2 (Thinnet, RG58, 20 AWG) cabling system. The older cable will be removed during the demolition.

Where can I find information on the number of cables (i.e. RG58) that are allowed to be within this conduit. (3/4" EMT). Ideally, I am simply looking for sizing table.
Thanks,
kc

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: 10Base2 (RG58) in 3/4" conduit

According to Belden it would be 8 given a cable OD of .182". This is based on a 40% fill.
Add: The sizing table I used is an old slide calculator provided by Belden many years ago. I don't know if there is anything available on their site, I assume there should be.

[ November 12, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Data wiring is exempt from Chapter 3 raceway fill, but 40% is a good number. With data cable such as CAt 5, the maximum pulling tension is 25 lbs, so oversize your raceways and limit elbows.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Yes, this is pretty old- 1981 so the 2002 revision wasn't around. Still, I believe Belden takes into account pulling tension but you have to consider the number of bends and length yourself. A good pulling lube will make this alot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.