110.16 arc flash label

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

110.16 requires an arc flash label. Does this mean that it needs to indicate the level of PPE or does it simply mean you must have a generic label indicating the potential risk of an arc flash?

Thanks,

Mike

raider1

Staff member
The NEC only requires a generic arc flash warning label.

70E requires that the equipment be field marked with a label containing the available incident energy or required level of PPE.

Chris

Cold Fusion

The NEC only requires a generic arc flash warning label.

70E requires that the equipment be field marked with a label containing the available incident energy or required level of PPE.

Chris
I just happen to be looking for that right now - the 70E piece requiring labels and what should be on them. Would you happen to know where it is in 70E?

cf

Cold Fusion

I didn't get a chance to look at 2009 yet. May still yet tonight. In particular I'm looking for any requirements to put labels on 480V J-boxes. There are taps inside, but no reason to open while energized

cf

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Info on label

Info on label

Going from memory, the 2009 70E was adopted by OSHA in 8/08. Sounds screwy, but in my mind it's been validated, so now I comply.
And the significance to it is that the label must now contain the PPE requirement as opposed to a generic label that directed you to the Power Study which contained the appropriate info. I formerly advocated the "refer to Power Study" method since you didn't have to re-label after a Power Study update, but not after the '08 adoption of the '09 code.
Here's a sample of some labels we're using on a job:
View attachment 2855
Note our color choices: yellow for level 0, Orange for PPE 1-4, and Red for Dangerous.
This is done with SKM.
To answer coldfusion's question about the j-box label, I say no label is required unless you expect to access the cables when energized.
John M

mayanees

Occupation
note....

note....

Note to my labels in my previous post....
There's a mis-spell on the labels that HAS BEEN CORRECTED !!!
I love SKM, but you have to watch them. This format was one of maybe 25different options - which are all editable. This one prints out to an Avery 6876adhesive-backed label for easy application on panels.
I customized the sample to include some client-requested information.
The mis-spell is the word Boundary in one place.

John M

mayanees

Occupation
.. and one more Arc Flash comment..

.. and one more Arc Flash comment..

You don't have to do the Arc Flash calcualtions to determine a required PPE category. You can use the alternative, which is 70E, Table 130.7(C)(9)(a).
This table is more restrictive than the results obtained doing the analysis, but provides an alternative.
John M

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You don't have to do the Arc Flash calcualtions to determine a required PPE category. You can use the alternative, which is 70E, Table 130.7(C)(9)(a).
This table is more restrictive than the results obtained doing the analysis, but provides an alternative.

How do you put a label on equipment when the HRC changes depending on which task you are actually performing? What label do you put on when you want to remove the bolted covers for infra-red testing? Do you then change the label to the less restrictive HRC for doing the test? After everything is done and the covers are back on, what does the last label on the equipment say?

As a side note: In my opinion the less information on the lable the better. Hazardous materials are simply marked with four colored diamonds. Their required PPE is based on the number in those diamonds. Why does electrical need to be more comlicated than that. After all, part of the definition of a qualified person requires you to know how to choose the proper PPE.

mayanees

Occupation
How do you put a label on equipment when the HRC changes depending on which task you are actually performing? What label do you put on when you want to remove the bolted covers for infra-red testing? Do you then change the label to the less restrictive HRC for doing the test? After everything is done and the covers are back on, what does the last label on the equipment say?

As a side note: In my opinion the less information on the lable the better. Hazardous materials are simply marked with four colored diamonds. Their required PPE is based on the number in those diamonds. Why does electrical need to be more comlicated than that. After all, part of the definition of a qualified person requires you to know how to choose the proper PPE.

Jim,
Your questions are answered with one statement: The Hazard Risk Category (HRC) listed on the Arc Flash label refers to the busbar inside the panel - when the covers are removed.
In order to determine the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when operating breakers in a panel with the covers on - then you would go to Table 130.7. For example, you may have a 240 V Panelboard with a level 2 HRC, requiring level 2 PPE to work on when energized, but to operate a breaker in that panel, Table 130.7 calls out Level 0 HRC.

I too agree with your statement that less information is better - relying on the electrician to be qualified enough to recognize the Hazard and treat it accordingly - but NFPA 70E now necessitates comprehensive labeling.
I'm not really complaining though, because there's enough of this out there that I'll always be gainfully employed!

John M

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
mayanees said:
You don't have to do the Arc Flash calcualtions to determine a required PPE category

Your recommendation was to use the task tables to determine PPE, what label would you put on the equipment.

If you say the label needs to be based on the bus inside of the equipment then a calculation must be performed. If a calculation must be performed then you cannot provide the required 70E label using the task tables.

I do not believe that 70E requires comprehensive labeling, although it may require a comprehensive analysis. 70E simply requires you to list either the PPE required or the incident energy available. That means a label that says "ARC FLASH use PPE equivalent to HRC=1 and 480V" would meet the basic requirements.

mayanees

Occupation
Your recommendation was to use the task tables to determine PPE, what label would you put on the equipment.

If you say the label needs to be based on the bus inside of the equipment then a calculation must be performed. If a calculation must be performed then you cannot provide the required 70E label using the task tables.

I do not believe that 70E requires comprehensive labeling, although it may require a comprehensive analysis. 70E simply requires you to list either the PPE required or the incident energy available. That means a label that says "ARC FLASH use PPE equivalent to HRC=1 and 480V" would meet the basic requirements.

My recommendation is to use the task table when accessing the gear with covers on, but if possible - calculate the PPE requirements for work on an energized bus, since that calculated level will likely be lower than the table value for gear access. Post the value that applies to the energized bus determined by Table or analysis.

And for those who can't get the calculated value, you can still use the tables for determination of the PPE requirement when working on energized bus.

In fact, if an electrician were accessing gear and there was no posted PPE requirement, he/she should use PPE from the Table.

I agree that 70E requires you to just list PPE level or incident energy level. The only way your going to determine the incident energy level is through the analysis, but there are 2 ways to establish the required PPE level - table or analysis, with Analysis leading to potentially lower level PPE, and thus an easier task for the electrician.

John M

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
John,
My recommendation is to use the task table when accessing the gear with covers on, but if possible - calculate the PPE requirements for work on an energized bus, since that calculated level will likely be lower than the table value for gear access. Post the value that applies to the energized bus determined by Table or analysis.

Are you saying that you can ignore a label that contains information based on an exposed bus condition and simply use the task tables instead; as long as you are interacting with the covers on.

NPFA70E-2009 requires equipment being 'interacted with' to be labeled with the required PPE or the incident energy.

mayanees

Occupation
Yes

Yes

John,

Are you saying that you can ignore a label that contains information based on an exposed bus condition and simply use the task tables instead; as long as you are interacting with the covers on.

NPFA70E-2009 requires equipment being 'interacted with' to be labeled with the required PPE or the incident energy.

Yes, that's my interpretation Jim, 'with covers on' comes from the table, and 'with covers off' comes from the tables or a calculated value.
Logically, any time you are physically exposed to the bus you run the risk of the dangers of Arc Flash, and need to comply with the requirements of the label, or if not labeled, go to the Table for the 'covers off' condition. I have trouble rationalizing the requirement for PPE with covers on, because it seems completely safe to me. But, that's not for me to argue.

John M

zog

Yes, that's my interpretation Jim, 'with covers on' comes from the table, and 'with covers off' comes from the tables or a calculated value.
Logically, any time you are physically exposed to the bus you run the risk of the dangers of Arc Flash, and need to comply with the requirements of the label, or if not labeled, go to the Table for the 'covers off' condition. I have trouble rationalizing the requirement for PPE with covers on, because it seems completely safe to me. But, that's not for me to argue.

John M

You are not supposed to mix analysis results and the tables, you use one or the other. That is stated in the 70E somewhere but I dont have a copy handy, I will post exact quote on Monday unless someone beats me to it.

ron

I have found that the notes to the tables in 70E, make the table unusable in many of the buildings/applications that I work in.
Even if I could use the table, by the time I figured out the fault current and the clearing time of the upstream OCPD based on that fault current, I may as well have plugged it into the incident energy calculator and figured it out based on the actual working distance for my proposed task.

mayanees

Occupation
You are not supposed to mix analysis results and the tables, you use one or the other. That is stated in the 70E somewhere but I dont have a copy handy, I will post exact quote on Monday unless someone beats me to it.

Then how do you calculate a value with the covers on?

John M

Status
Not open for further replies.