110.24(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't nearly all loadcenters out there with factory installed main breakers using 22k mains and their branch breakers are series rated with that main?

I believe so. I think the problem might arise when using a 100 or 125 backfed as the main in a small panelboard or breaker enclosure. Of course one could get the 22k "H" version of the breaker, but who wants to pay for that :roll: would have been cheaper to get a MB panel.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with that. How are contractors supposed to bid on plans that basically are not complete? Yet some will give a bid anyway, so that means you need to also if you want a chance at the project.

But we all make a lot of money all the time and it is always easy, right?
:happyyes:
So that's another issue. These plans are getting picked up on Monday and they are calling for inspections on Friday (I'm talking bigger jobs), that means the contractor has never actually seen the "approved" plans. So I don't know what they bid off of.

Had one job, they picked up the plans on Monday and called for roughs on Tuesday. Should have seen the look on the electricians face when he had to remove all of his cut in boxes out of the rated wall, along with a four gang switch box. He said well it's not on my plans. I told him I know that's why I had them identify it on the "approved" plans.

kwired

Electron manager
So that's another issue. These plans are getting picked up on Monday and they are calling for inspections on Friday (I'm talking bigger jobs), that means the contractor has never actually seen the "approved" plans. So I don't know what they bid off of.

Had one job, they picked up the plans on Monday and called for roughs on Tuesday. Should have seen the look on the electricians face when he had to remove all of his cut in boxes out of the rated wall, along with a four gang switch box. He said well it's not on my plans. I told him I know that's why I had them identify it on the "approved" plans.
Inspectors here don't inspect plans, they go to the site and inspect per NEC.

About only time I can recall showing plans to an inspector would be when asking questions about something that isn't installed yet and plans are about all there is to look at.

I can understand having a plans inspection before construction, in that case whatever is submitted for that plans inspection should be what is used for construction unless plans changes were submitted via acceptable methods and are approved. Plans inspection ahead of time could identify code issues in the design before construction begins, otherwise what really matters in the end is that actual install meets current code at time (usually time permit was issued).

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Around here inspectors don't inspect plans either.

Also, usually the architects and engineers put a generic one-line on the prints without even contacting the Power Company.

Most times when you contact the power company, they haven't even seen a set of electrical drawings on the project prior to bid.

Sad but true.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Around here inspectors don't inspect plans either.

Also, usually the architects and engineers put a generic one-line on the prints without even contacting the Power Company.

Most times when you contact the power company, they haven't even seen a set of electrical drawings on the project prior to bid.

Sad but true.

JAP>
I run into a lot of that also. When I have drawings by someone else. A lot of what I do I design and build (the electrical portion anyway).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Inspectors here don't inspect plans, they go to the site and inspect per NEC.

About only time I can recall showing plans to an inspector would be when asking questions about something that isn't installed yet and plans are about all there is to look at.

I can understand having a plans inspection before construction, in that case whatever is submitted for that plans inspection should be what is used for construction unless plans changes were submitted via acceptable methods and are approved. Plans inspection ahead of time could identify code issues in the design before construction begins, otherwise what really matters in the end is that actual install meets current code at time (usually time permit was issued).
We try to cover all the code issues on the plans, so that there are no surprises in the field. Now the NEC does supersede the plans, so let's say a receptacle is required somewhere and it's left off the plans, that doesn't mean you don't have to put it in. If the plans are engineered and let's say they oversize the conductors then that's what's going to be installed unless you contact the engineer and he changes the plans. Here in CA once plans are stamped by the engineer only he can change them. With all of the energy requirements and accessibility requirements we have here you almost have to get all of the on the plans as it can be very expensive to fix if it's missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.