110.26(2) Large Equipment entrance requirements

kenaslan

(2) Large Equipment.

For large equipment that contains overcurrent devices, switching devices, or control devices, there shall be one entrance to and egress from the required working space not less than 610 mm (24 in.) wide and 2.0 m (6 1⁄2 ft) high at each end of the working space...

My question here is what is the code intent of the word "Entrance"?

If you look at all the diagrams in the handbook, they seem to always indicate a door. 110.26(3) "Personnel Doors" require panic hardware if the door is within 25' of the clear space. This would reinforce my belief that the word "entrance" is a door, not just escaping to a clear area. If you have 7 or 8 rows of MCCs facing each other you need clearance at each end (unless you double the clear space 4 feet becomes 8 feet and don't forget to add the 24" between open doors) you can look to the left or right, and MUST see a door one way or another with a clear and unobstructed path.

Thoughts?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have never seen entrance as always synonymous with doorway.

I been in many industrial installations where the nearest doorway was hundreds of feet away from the electrical equipment.

Last edited:

kenaslan

Yes 100's of feet I have seen. Otherwise you would have dozens of doors. My question is, does that doorway even if 100 feet away needs to be in a continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel? In other words, the view of that doorway cannot be blocked by something in front of it. For example another MCC or switchgear moved into the line of sight. If you cannot physically see that door, how does one know the path to exit?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Yes 100's of feet I have seen. Otherwise you would have dozens of doors. My question is, does that doorway even if 100 feet away needs to be in a continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel? In other words, the view of that doorway cannot be blocked by something in front of it. For example another MCC or switchgear moved into the line of sight. If you cannot physically see that door, how does one know the path to exit?
Fire and safety regulations would deal with doors and exits and pathways.
The NEC is only worried about leaving the working space.

In your MCC example, as soon as you can get to 8' + 2' you are no longer within the NEC working space at which point the presence or absence of doorways is immaterial.