110.26(A)(1) enphase microinverter combiner panel exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorman

Occupation
Solar installer
The picture should have been given right off. The panel has to be moved. Inspector correct in calling it out.
Their is no way to make that location work even with the workaround given by Wayne now that we see a picture. IDK to start with who would have thought that this would be a good location, or how installing in that location was workable with all that HVAC equipment in the way. I certainly would never have wanted to struggle to put a panel up there.
Your 1st argument in post #17 is still wrong it doesn't matter that you can de-energize or not it is a breaker panel not just a junction box.

This picture makes me question, what was there first, the panel or HVAC?
If the panel was first you have an argument with the HVAC installer not the inspector. If however the HVAC was first, shame on the installer as that should have been recognized by the electrician as never compliant. (Let alone the real hassle to place it there, and to work on it.)

Simply if the panel was install to the picture right of the ducts I don't think the inspector would have had called out horizontal working space as an issue. If I could stand in front of the panel with nothing to climb over or to trip over to work on it horizontal space I would "let it go". Your excuse of that it can be de-energize would only make application of equipment dedicated space 110.26(E)(1) a workaround, and it would allow a narrower space for equipment, but all that "foreign" equipment located as installed is still a violation of that where the panel is now. There are 2 portions to 110.26, working space and dedicated equipment space.

That is not really a conditioned space as you mentioned in post #8, the sheetrock based on there being double layer on wall was meant as seperation for the attic mechanical room and no appearance of conditioned air for that space visually present, and actually would be not usually done, for the AC mechanical space, many times when I worked for a GC we would install a double layer as a fire barrier but the unsealed duct penetration invalidates that application.

Bottom line, something has to move.
Thank you so much, the ac duct came after the panel and messed everything up.
Putting on the right side wall leaves less than 30" depth. I will put it on the right side wall but facing outside the room so all these space issues are resolved.

Now with that picture in place ...
Can I leave that panel there as junction box, pull out the 20amp breakers to use in the new panel and leave the 100amp breaker in there just because I don't want to have the empty space in the cover? Will close the empty 20amp spots with fillers.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Putting on the right side wall leaves less than 30" depth. I will put it on the right side wall but facing outside the room so all these space issues are resolved.

Now with that picture in place ...
Can I leave that panel there as junction box, pull out the 20amp breakers to use in the new panel and leave the 100amp breaker in there just because I don't want to have the empty space in the cover? Will close the empty 20amp spots with fillers.
If HVAC came in after, your complaint is with the HVAC company, not the inspector, and the responsibility to correct is theirs. If however there was engineered designs for the HVAC at time of installations they should have been reviewed prior to your installation. (Unlikely in residential for non structural remodel in NYS).
You have a couple of options. Inform them (The HVAC installer) of the noncompliance issue and ask them to correct. Or, there should have been permits for the work (in NYS) and should have an AHJ inspection, so report to AHJ of the noncompliance. Or move the panel. Easiest for you (less confrontation and waiting to have it corrected) would be to just move the panel.

Why even leave any of the panel in place? Just get a proper jbox and install in place of the panel and use the panel in the new "compliant" location. At this point leaving the panel would only "red flag" for the inspector and would question the changes, a door vs a dead front implies something else is installed, and allows "no tool" access to live conductors. Potential safety issue if curious children can gain access to space. As well as a source of confusion for any future technicians who may have to work on the equipment especially if you leave the 100A breaker in place (assuming you intend to disconnect that as well, if not you still have a panel not a jbox).

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Your panel and the HVAC equipment are in conflict spatially.

Best case this project had a plan that laid out the equipment locations to not conflict. In which case whichever trade deviated from the plan is at fault. Worst case there was no plan or a bad plan. It's arguable then that the HVAC installer is at fault if they didn't check with you before blocking your panel.

As a practical matter, it's probably easier to move the panel than the HVAC equipment, but if the HVAC installer is at fault, you could charge for that.

Cheers, Wayne

Doctorman

Occupation
Solar installer
Your panel and the HVAC equipment are in conflict spatially.

Best case this project had a plan that laid out the equipment locations to not conflict. In which case whichever trade deviated from the plan is at fault. Worst case there was no plan or a bad plan. It's arguable then that the HVAC installer is at fault if they didn't check with you before blocking your panel.

As a practical matter, it's probably easier to move the panel than the HVAC equipment, but if the HVAC installer is at fault, you could charge for that.

Cheers, Wayne
HVAC guys messed up but it is hell to get them to come back, they did not even finish the job right.

I dont want to mess with the installed box too much, it is tight in there and I dont want to strain the wires; will remove the breakers and extend new wires to the new panel,
Just wondering if I use the original panel door and lock the door in a way that does not open but with a screw driver and removing the screws that should render the box to a junction box with no tool access.
or just cover it with a metal sheet or something flat with screws.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
HVAC guys messed up but it is hell to get them to come back, they did not even finish the job right.

I dont want to mess with the installed box too much, it is tight in there and I dont want to strain the wires; will remove the breakers and extend new wires to the new panel,
Just wondering if I use the original panel door and lock the door in a way that does not open but with a screw driver and removing the screws that should render the box to a junction box with no tool access.
or just cover it with a metal sheet or something flat with screws.
If you opt to make a cover from sheet materials, just check code for the thickness requirements for a box cover I recall there being a requirement just don't recall exact dimensions. If you choose to retain the existing cover with door and securing door rendering it inoperative, Given the inspector already had issue I would make a perminant label indicating no circuit protection enclosed and no serviceable parts present. (Not a code requirement but wouldn't hurt with the inspector.)
Some reference for thickness is found in 314.40 and 314.41

Doctorman

Occupation
Solar installer
If you opt to make a cover from sheet materials, just check code for the thickness requirements for a box cover I recall there being a requirement just don't recall exact dimensions. If you choose to retain the existing cover with door and securing door rendering it inoperative, Given the inspector already had issue I would make a perminant label indicating no circuit protection enclosed and no serviceable parts present. (Not a code requirement but wouldn't hurt with the inspector.)
Some reference for thickness is found in 314.40 and 314.41
put a new panel in an open area of same brand and use dthe old cover,
will either make a cover or shut the door of the cover of the panel and use that with the Note as you said
Inspector wont need to do a rough inspection again right? no need to open the panel and junction box etc for him to see inside?

Sheet steel boxes not over 1650 cm³ (100 in.³) in size shall be made from steel not less than 1.59 mm (0.0625 in.) thick. The wall of a malleable iron box or conduit body and a die-cast or permanent-mold cast aluminum, brass, bronze, or zinc box or conduit body shall not be less than 2.38 mm (3⁄32 in.) thick. Other cast metal boxes or conduit bodies shall have a wall thickness not less than 3.17 mm (1⁄8 in.). [NFPA 70, NEC 314.40(B)]

cover metal thickness NEC.png

Last edited:

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
put a new panel in an open area of same brand and use dthe old cover,
will either make a cover or shut the door of the cover of the panel and use that with the Note as you said
Inspector wont need to do a rough inspection again right? no need to open the panel and junction box etc for him to see inside?
That will be up to the inspector, but I would be prepared for the event that he will want to see that all the appropriate changes have been made. Likely no different than part of a rough for any connection junction box for any application.
I would think given this location and setup was the cause of inspection failure he would be likely to want to review that entire area and wireing for compliance.

You initially indicated being unsure and assumed his issue was related to the particular code section, before proceeding with a repair/modification reaching out to the inspector would be advisable as you don't want to make a change that didn't really address adequately his concern. Doing so in a manner that is nonconfrontational but to indicate your desire to be compliant and go over with him the plan you have developed to correct and meet his compliance concern, rather than just doing something and then he makes a trip out and he still doesn't like it. He also may have other suggestions for you to meet compliance that may not have been thought of, again given you really don't know his actual code concern based on the vague statement you opened with.

Status
Not open for further replies.