110-26 (a) and the broom closet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm am in the bidding process of upgrading a sub panel currently located within a small kitchen closet (aka: broom closet). It is a shallow closet ~24". It is not possible to access the panel without having the closet door open.

Is this in violation of 110-26 (a) and is there any reason why I could not install the new panel with in the same location?

Mark

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the doorway lines up with the panel so that when the door is open you have the clearances required by 110.26 for the entire panel width or 30" whichever is greater, then I think you would be in compliance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the closet is only 24" deep the door opening would need to be larger than 30" to accommodate the door's edge and the stop moldings on the jam. As Augie said you need to be cognizant of the alignment of the door with the panel too.

At this time I need to remeasure the width of the back closet wall where the panel would be mounted. I'm thinking that it is >30".

btw: the door does opens out.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With a 24" deep closet the door would have to open out for you to have shot at making this code compliant. My estimate is that the door would need to be at least 32" wide.

mkgrady

Let's say the door is wide enough and the alignment is such that there is clearance 30" wide and 36" deep with the door open. wouldn't the problem be that the door is too short? Wouldn't the door have to be as tall as the closet?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The doorway would have to be 6 feet 6 inches high. I just checked the door to the closet in my home office, and it had that with 7 inches to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.