110.26 (C)(2)2

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A 2020 change "open equipment doors must not impede the entry to or egress from the working space"
I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this. The wording does not seem to change the 110.26 required clearance and I can't picture the consequence.
Any enlightenment is appreciated.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A 2020 change "open equipment doors must not impede the entry to or egress from the working space"
I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this. The wording does not seem to change the 110.26 required clearance and I can't picture the consequence.
Any enlightenment is appreciated.
This is for where you have rows of equipment facing each other, for example MCCs. With doors open on both sides of the aisle, the space between the doors must not be less than 18". This is huge where you have large equipment with doors that might be 36" wide or more and only open 90° and could double the size of an electrical room.
Ryan Jackson discusses this for the 2020 code when it only applied to large equipment in this video...the part on this subject starts about 12:30 into the video. The change in the 2023 made it apply to all equipment and not just large equipment. They did address one of his issues with the 2020 language by specifying a minimum egress path of at least 24" wide and 6'6" high.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Wow! That;'s going to catch a lot of design folks if they aren't up to date.

Thanks for the link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.