110.26 Dedicated Electrical Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Suppose you have a panel and the panel is under a gas pipe. The gas pipe is within 6' of the dedicated electrical space. Is there a way around this? Would it be code compliant if the gas pipe is encased such that it is no longer considered in the dedicated electrical space? Would the only way around this would be to ask architect to make a ceiling between the pipe and the panel? What are other clever ways is there to make it code compliant? Thanks!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The dedicated electrical space extends 6 ft above the panel or structural ceiling. I have seen a drywall lid installed below ductwork that may Be an option for you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The dedicated electrical space extends 6 ft above the panel or structural ceiling. I have seen a drywall lid installed below ductwork that may Be an option for you.
An inspector may question whether the drywall is really structural in nature. It is certainly not removable, but what role does it play in the strength or integrity of the building structure?
Needless to say, your mileage may vary.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I have seen stuff too… but doesn’t really mean it’s correct

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Assume relocation of gas pipe isn’t an option
If you want to comply with the dedicated space requirement you have two options, move the pipe or move the panel. I don't see non-structural drywall as a solution. Also the 6' space above the panel is ridiculous.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If you want to comply with the dedicated space requirement you have two options, move the pipe or move the panel. I don't see non-structural drywall as a solution. Also the 6' space above the panel is ridiculous.
Agree with you, 6’ is nuts…. What if i ask to put a ceiling made out of concrete between the panel and gas pipe?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Agree with you, 6’ is nuts…. What if i ask to put a ceiling made out of concrete between the panel and gas pipe?
You would still need to sell the fact that it's a structural ceiling as required by 110.26.

110.26(E) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage.
Exception: Control equipment that by its very nature or because of other rules of the Code must be adjacent to or within sight of its operating machinery shall be permitted in those locations.
(1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(E)
(1)(a) through (E)(1)(d).
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
You would still need to sell the fact that it's a structural ceiling as required by 110.26.
Shoot. I'm concerned because I'm given a room to design electrical distribution system in with a lot of foreign crap above it...

MyCleveland

Not all AHJ would accept this…? Plywood is not even structural… lol
LOL is not an appropriate response….did you see the words under his name ?
Everyone is trying to help you.

Again you are going about this the wrong way. You where given floor space to work with, you understand the piping must be relocated or buried…concealed.
Inform your ME on the job of the parameters and let them deal with how to resolve.

You should tell them of other areas that a similar issue at the same time.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
It’s not clear cut at all. This issue has come up before.
LOL is not an appropriate response….did you see the words under his name ?
Everyone is trying to help you.

Again you are going about this the wrong way. You where given floor space to work with, you understand the piping must be relocated or buried…concealed.
Inform your ME on the job of the parameters and let them deal with how to resolve.

You should tell them of other areas that a similar issue at the same time.
I don’t get it, what’s wrong with my response? Lol. You are jumping into conclusions, I did inform, and all they said is that there are ways around it so I wanted to hear opinions here.

cyriousn

Occupation
EE & BIM
You could swap the panelboard location with a transformer location since the transformer doesn't require the dedicated electrical space above it. Your feeders may and up out of order but it could possibly get you out of the jam. I agree with MyCleveland that if this is something that the Mechanical/Plumbing Engineer can fix quickly then pass it on to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.