110.26(E)(1) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Is 110.26(e)(1) apply if I have a recessed panel and in the wall there is plumbing below. I feel it apply.
Mike’s book as I interpret it says the same on page 20 https://www.mikeholt.com/instructor2/img/product/pdf/11NEC101-1076-sample.pdf

I was working on a manufactured home and needed to run a new pipe since old one was buried with a splice some were. I can across a plumbing pipe underneath in my way. Called inspector to see what he thought.
HE text me back no it is not dedicated work on your nec.
Am I wrong if so I will cool down but I thought that was rude.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Mike has in his graphic the dedicated space requirement would be for recessed or surface mounted equipment. I'm not sure if a manufactured home changes anything.
110-26f1.gif

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
He must not know. I called a plumber to try and get it moved . He said he just did a house that the panel was right behind the shower with all his hockups and passed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The dedicated space is required to allow for adding things to the equipment at a later time. If it's already recessed in a finished wall violating the dedicated space becomes less of an issue so I could see some inspectors ignoring it. Still not code as Dennis stated.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the pipe below in the wall is a violation, so is the top plate of the wall. Rule says it must be clear to the structural ceiling...the structural ceiling it above the top plate.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
It specifically calls out foreign piping.

“ No pipping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical equipment“

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
My understanding is that the NEC does not apply directly to factory installed wiring in a manufactured home.
Yes that is true. They often wire the outside receptacles on the bathroom circuit.
Did a Remodle on house. They had that same setup I had to fix it since I was touching it.
Felt that this was the same Situation here.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If the pipe below in the wall is a violation, so is the top plate of the wall. Rule says it must be clear to the structural ceiling...the structural ceiling it above the top plate.
I agree with Don and the inspector 110.26 space is for safe approach of workers nothing more.
110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Access and work-
ing space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical
equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance
of such equipment.

Carultch

Yeah, how exactly does the concept of dedicated space work, when applying it to panels recessed in wall framing? The structural members of the framing, the drywall board, and the thermal insulation if applicable, would have to not count as "foreign equipment", otherwise there would be no legitimate application of a recessed panelboard.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC

If the wall is load bearing wall the the top plate is most certainly part of the structural ceiling. You would have to have an structural engineer come out and determine if it’s a load bearing wall or not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think we are getting nit picky here. My feeling is that the plumbing in the wall can impede the wiring that may be fished up from below. Not sure if that is the intent of the code....

Status
Not open for further replies.